This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Energy
One in a series of studies on customer response to utility regulatory pricing in early 1975, the Wisconsin demonstration project was carried out by the Federal Energy Administration (FEA) and the Wisconsin Public Service Commission (PSC) from 1976 to 1980. The study was originally called the Wisconsin Electricity Consumer Survey and was an experiment to generate and analyze data on the effects of peak-load pricing on residential electric consumption. The experimental design featured nine distinct peak load pricing treatments, a time of day demand treatment, a seasonal flat-rate treatment, and a control group. Six sets of data resulted from the demonstration: questionnaire surveys of the customers (both control and experimental), summary demographic information, utility load reports, weather data, and customer usage records. All six sets (representing the five main parts of the Demonstration Project series) are available in this data collection. Part 1 contains the customer survey response data from 400 control participants, and Part 2 contains the customer survey response data from 399 experimental participants. Data for both parts were gathered in the second only of three survey waves, which was administered in March 1979. Parts 4-6 each contain 28 days of data, with Parts 4 and 6 including hourly data. Parts 4-6 also contain identifying information that links their data to the pertinent customer/participant's demographic data in Part 3.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download these data.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
U.S. Dept. of Energy. ELECTRIC UTILITY RATE DEMONSTRATION PROJECT: WISCONSIN, 1976-1980. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1981. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07880.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07880.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: consumer attitudes, consumer behavior, demographic characteristics, econometrics, economic behavior, electric power, electric utilities, energy conservation, energy consumption, public utilities, regulation, utility rates, weather data
Date of Collection:
Universe: Residential customers of the Wisconsin Public Service corporation (PSC) in 19 counties in northeastern Wisconsin, encompassing Green Bay, with an area of 10,000 square miles.
Data Types: experimental data, survey data, event/transaction data, and administrative records data
Data Collection Notes:
1) The start and stop dates that are reported in all six parts of the Wisconsin demonstration are essential variables in the linkage process. These variables, used in conjunction with the utility code, weather station identification, and customer identification, enable the records of the separate data groups to be matched and merged or subset. When corrections of data values were made, and updated record was added to the file, but the originally reported data record was retained. In these instances where there are duplicate records for the same reporting period, the second record has the correct data values. 2) The codebook is provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
Sample: A stratified random probability sample was drawn from nine consumption strata. The sampling units consisted of single-unit residential customers and the sampling frame was built from billing files excluding low-use customers.
(1) personal interviews, (2) telephone interviews, (3) utility usage and load records, and (4) National Weather Service records
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-05-11
- 2006-01-18 File CB7880.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- View publications for the study (~47)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.