This study was originally provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Principal Investigator(s): Kleppner, Paul
This data collection incorporates county-level election returns from 15 states for various statewide offices in the period 1874-1952. Included are votes cast for party candidates contesting a variety of offices such as lieutenant governor, attorney general, secretary of state, treasurer, and auditor. Data are stored in separate files for the 15 states at the following time periods: California (1882-1950), Colorado (1892-1952), Indiana (1876-1948), Minnesota (1890-1948), Missouri (1882-1948), Montana (1889-1948), Nebraska (1884-1950), New York (1878-1946), North Dakota (1889-1948), Ohio (1886-1948), Oregon (1878-1948), Pennsylvania (1874-1948), South Dakota (1889-1950), West Virginia (1904-1948), and Wisconsin (1884-1950).
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download the data.
WARNING: Because this study has many datasets, the download all files option has been suppressed, and you will need to download one dataset at a time.
Kleppner, Paul. ELECTORAL RETURNS FOR STATEWIDE OFFICES IN THE UNITED STATES, 1874-1952. ICPSR version. DeKalb, IL: Paul Kleppner, Northern Illinois University [producer], 198?. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2001. doi:10.3886/ICPSR07861.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07861.v1
Scope of Study
Universe: A total of 15 states of the United States in the period 1874-1952.
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) The codebook is provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site. (2) Election returns for gubernatorial candidates are included in the related data collection, UNITED STATES HISTORICAL ELECTION RETURNS, 1788-1984 (ICPSR 0001).
official election returns provided by state governments
Original ICPSR Release: 1985-12-20
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 18 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 17 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 16 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.