National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Survey of Jail Inmates, 1978 (ICPSR 7751)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
In February of 1978, locally operated jails were surveyed on a national scale. Of the more than 158,000 persons who were estimated to be held in these jails at that time, a sample of 5,247 inmates was drawn. Information was gathered regarding type of facility, availability of health care in the facility, personal and educational backgrounds, reasons for incarceration, sentencing, numbers of offenses, and inmate drug use.
These data are available to the general public.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. SURVEY OF JAIL INMATES, 1978. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. 5th ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07751.v5
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07751.v5
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Jail inmates in the United States in 1978.
Data Types: survey data
Sample: A random probability sample of 5,247 jail inmates was drawn nationally across the United States.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-03-18
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 1997-02-13 SAS and SPSS data definition statements are now available for this collection.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~12 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)