This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Slave Sales and Appraisals, 1775-1865 (ICPSR 7421)
Principal Investigator(s): Fogel, Robert W., University of Rochester; Engerman, Stanley L., University of Rochester
This study presents data pertaining to slave sales and appraisals that took place from 1775 to 1865 in eight states of the southern United States: Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Louisiana, Tennessee, Georgia, and Mississippi. The data were obtained from probate records on deposit in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Genealogical Society Library, Salt Lake City, Utah. Variables document the sale locations and the appraised and sale values of the slaves, as well as the slaves' age, sex, occupational skills, and condition of health. A related study is SLAVE HIRES, 1775-1865 (ICPSR 7422), also prepared by Robert W. Fogel and Stanley L. Engerman.
Fogel, Robert W., and Stanley L. Engerman. SLAVE SALES AND APPRAISALS, 1775-1865. ICPSR07421-v3. Rochester, NY: University of Rochester [producer], 1976. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 2006-10-11. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07421.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07421.v3
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: African Americans, Antebellum South (USA), eighteenth century, history, nineteenth century, slave appraisals, slave ownership, slave populations, slave sales, slavery, Southern United States
Geographic Coverage: Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, United States, Virginia
Universe: Slave sales and appraisals in the southern United States (Maryland, Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Louisiana, Tennessee, Georgia, and Mississippi) between 1775-1865.
Data Types: administrative records data
Data Collection Notes:
Variable 5, recording "Year in which Entry Occurred," has values ranging from 1742 to 1868.
Sample: Nonrandom, convenience sample.
probate records for the southern United States, on deposit in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Genealogical Society Library, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Created online analysis version with question text.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-07-02
- 2006-10-11 ICPSR has added value labels found in the original documentation from the principal investigators to the setup and data files. Variables V5, V7, V10, V12, V13, and V15 were reformatted as numeric variables. A PDF codebook was added and the metadata record was revised.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)