This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Burdens of National Defense, 1961-1968 (ICPSR 7388)
This study includes state-level information on expenditures of the United States Department of Defense and National Aeronautics and Space Administration for the years 1961-1962 and 1967-1968 (Part 1), and U.S. Senate roll-call votes on defense-related issues during the 87th and 90th Congresses (Part 2). The study also contains time-series data representing a breakdown of the gross national product (GNP) by component categories for Canada in the years 1947-1964 (Part 3), for France in 1950-1965 (Part 4), for the United Kingdom in 1947-1965 (Part 5), and for the United States in 1938-1967 (Part 6).
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
Russett, Bruce M. Burdens of National Defense, 1961-1968. ICPSR07388-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1976. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07388.v1
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07388.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: arms race, arms sales, Cold War, defense contracts, defense spending, economic history, economic indicators, expenditures, federal budget, foreign affairs, government expenditures, Gross National Product, gun control, health expenditures, international affairs, legislators, local government, military pay, NASA, national income, nations, personal income, roll call data, state government, United States Department of Defense, United States Senate, voting behavior
Universe: GNP components in the United States (1938-1967), Canada (1947-1964), United Kingdom (1947-1965), and France (1950-1965). (2) U.S. senators serving in the 87th and 90th Congresses (1961-1962 and 1967-1968, respectively).
(1) SURVEYS OF CURRENT BUSINESS, (2) U.S. Bureau of the Census. STATISTICAL ABSTRACTS OF THE UNITED STATES, (3) U.S. Bureau of the Census. HISTORICAL STATISTICS OF THE UNITED STATES: COLONIAL TIMES TO 1957, (4) U. S. Bureau of the Census. GOVERNMENTAL FINANCES IN 1966-1967, CANADA YEARBOOK, (5) Dominion Bureau of Statistics (Canada). NATIONAL ACCOUNTS INCOME AND EXPENDITURE, (6) United Nations. YEARBOOK OF NATIONAL ACCOUNTS STATISTICS, (7) O.E.E.C. STATISTICS OF NATIONAL PRODUCT AND EXPENDITURE, (8) Central Statistical Office (U.K.). NATIONAL INCOME AND EXPENDITURE, (9) Central Statistical Office (U.K.). ANNUAL ABSTRACT OF STATISTICS, (10) Ministere des Finances (France). ANNUAIRE STATISTIQUE DE LA FRANCE, (11) Ministere des Finances (France). STATISTIQUES ET ETUDES FINANCIERES, (12) Ministere des Finances (France). COMPTES DE LA NATION: 1949-1959, (13) Lawrence Kennedy. BIOGRAPHICAL DIRECTORY OF THE AMERICAN CONGRESSES: 1774-1971, (14) CONGRESSIONAL QUARTERLY ALMANAC.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-05-03
- 2006-01-18 File CB7388.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.