ANES 1976 Time Series Study (ICPSR 7381)
Alternate Title: American National Election Study, 1976
Principal Investigator(s): Miller, Warren, University of Michigan. Institute for Social Research. Center for Political Studies; Miller, Arthur, University of Michigan. Institute for Social Research. Center for Political Studies
This study is part of a time-series collection of national surveys fielded continuously since 1952. The election studies are designed to present data on Americans' social backgrounds, enduring political predispositions, social and political values, perceptions and evaluations of groups and candidates, opinions on questions of public policy, and participation in political life. In addition to the usual content, the study contains specific inquiries into the impact of the mass media, perceptions of the financial, business, and economic conditions of the nation, and measures of personal esteem, trust, and quality of life.
Miller, Warren, and Arthur Miller. ANES 1976 Time Series Study. ICPSR07381-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2015-11-10. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07381.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07381.v3
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation (SOC76-13562)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: candidates, congressional elections, domestic policy, economic conditions, Ford Administration (1974-1977), foreign policy, government performance, information sources, mass media, media influence, national elections, political affiliation, political attitudes, political campaigns, political efficacy, political issues, political participation, presidential elections, public approval, public opinion, quality of life, special interest groups, trust in government, voter expectations, voter history, voting behavior
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All United States citizens of voting age residing in housing units other than on military reservations in the 48 coterminous states.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
The SAS transport file was created using the SAS CPORT procedure.
Sample: National multistage area probability sample.
Mode of Data Collection: face-to-face interview, self-enumerated questionnaire, telephone interview
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-06-19
- 2015-11-10 The study metadata was updated.
- 2000-03-21 Some misassignments of state and congressional district have been corrected in this version of the data collection. For cases 0052, 0437, and 3684, the ICPSR state code assigned in V763005 has been changed to 24. For cases 3148 and 3664, the state and congressional district assigned in V763007 is now 2202. For cases 3338 and 3714, the state and congressional district assigned in V763007 has been changed to 5208. For case 3982, the state and congressional district assigned in V763007 was corrected to 4010. Also, the data for this study are now available in SAS transport and SPSS export formats in addition to the ASCII data file. Variables in the dataset have been renumbered to the following format: 2-digit (or 2-character) year prefix + 4 digits + [optional] 1-character suffix. Dataset ID and version variables and a PDF data collection instrument also have been added.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~972 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)