This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Surveys of Public Attitudes and Response to Federal Energy Policy, 1974-1976 (ICPSR 7380)
This study includes responses to a series of telephone surveys that probed public attitudes toward energy use and conservation in the United States. The data collection effort began in July 1974 and continued through April 1976 as an ongoing project of the United States Federal Energy Administration (now the Department of Energy). Every two weeks, independent samples of the population were interviewed by the Opinion Research Corporation of Princeton, New Jersey, up to a total of 42 surveys containing information obtained from 23,426 respondents. The data were subsequently consolidated in a standard format, with an indication of the date of each survey to facilitate time-series analysis. Variables assessed respondents' perceptions of the role of the federal government in energy policy, their knowledge and sources of information about energy, opinions of actual or potential government actions, and personal efforts to conserve energy. Questions were asked about driving habits, use of mass transit, and insulation of homes. Demographic information includes age, race, sex, education, family income, place of residence, region, size of family, membership in unions and environmental organizations, and number of automobiles in the household.
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
United States Federal Energy Administration. SURVEYS OF PUBLIC ATTITUDES AND RESPONSE TO FEDERAL ENERGY POLICY, 1974-1976. Conducted by Opinion Research Corporation, Princeton, New Jersey. 2nd ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1977. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07380.v1
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07380.v1
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation (SOC 75-20938)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: automobile use, conservation, driving habits, energy, energy conservation, energy policy, environmental attitudes, federal government, government performance, knowledge (awareness), memberships, public opinion, public transportation
Geographic Coverage: United States
(1) Grant No. SOC 75-20938 from the National Science Foundation supported the development of the master file of data and associated documentation, including a guide to the multiple occurrence of individual question items in the surveys. (2) Opinion Research Corporation created a weight variable that corrects for representation error in the following demographic categories: age, sex, race, income, and education. 3) The codebook is provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-03-18
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)