This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
ANES 1970 Time Series Study (ICPSR 7298)
This study is part of a time-series collection of national surveys fielded continuously since 1952. The election studies are designed to present data on Americans' social backgrounds, enduring political predispositions, social and political values, perceptions and evaluations of groups and candidates, opinions on questions of public policy, and participation in political life. A Black supplement of 114 respondents is included with the national cross-section of 1,580 respondents. In addition to the usual content, this study included items related to issues of college unrest, government help to minority groups, government action against inflation, and pollution from private industry. The Black respondents were questioned about the formation of a Black political party. This is the first of the national election studies to include respondents 18 to 20 years old and eligible to vote at the time of the interview.
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
University of Michigan. Institute for Social Research. Center for Political Studies. ANES 1970 Time Series Study. ICPSR07298-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2015-11-10. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07298.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07298.v3
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: Affirmative Action, African Americans, campus unrest, candidates, congressional elections, domestic policy, economic conditions, foreign policy, government performance, inflation, information sources, minorities, national elections, Nixon Administration (1969-1974), political affiliation, political attitudes, political campaigns, political efficacy, political issues, political participation, political parties, pollution, presidential elections, public approval, public opinion, special interest groups, trust in government, voter expectations, voter history, voting behavior
Geographic Coverage: United States
The SAS transport file was created using the SAS CPORT procedure.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-07-06
- 2015-11-10 The study metadata was updated.
- 1999-12-14 The data for this study are now available in SAS transport and SPSS export formats, in addition to the ASCII data file. Variables in the dataset have been renumbered to the following format: 2-digit (or 2-character) year prefix + 4 digits + [optional] 1-character suffix. Dataset ID and version variables have also been added. Also, SAS and SPSS data definition statements were created for this collection, and the data collection instrument is now available as a PDF file.
- List all ~522 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.