Principal Investigator(s): Survey Research Center
This study is part of a time-series collection of national surveys fielded continuously since 1952. The American National Election Studies are designed to present data on Americans' social backgrounds, enduring political predispositions, social and political values, perceptions and evaluations of groups and candidates, opinions on questions of public policy, and participation in political life. This data collection is a subset of a larger survey conducted by the Economic Behavior Program of the Survey Research Center (AMERICAN NATIONAL ELECTION STUDY, 1960 [ICPSR 7216]) and includes only a limited number of items pertaining to political behavior, with the major focus on attitudinal questions designed to measure consumer optimism and confidence.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download the data.
Survey Research Center. Minor American National Election Study, 1960. ICPSR07222-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. doi:10.3886/ICPSR07222.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07222.v2
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: candidates, congressional elections, consumer attitudes, domestic policy, economic conditions, Eisenhower Administration (1953-1961), foreign policy, government performance, national elections, political affiliation, political attitudes, political campaigns, political efficacy, political issues, political participation, presidential elections, public approval, public opinion, special interest groups, trust in government, voter expectations, voter history, voting behavior
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All persons of voting age living in private households in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
The SAS transport file was created using the SAS CPORT procedure.
Sample: National multistage area probability sample.
Mode of Data Collection: telephone interview
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-07-03
- 2000-03-15 The data for this study are now available in SAS transport and SPSS export formats in addition to the ASCII data file. Variables in the dataset have been renumbered to the following format: 2-digit (or 2-character) year prefix + 4 digits + [optional] 1-character suffix. Dataset ID and version variables have also been added. In addition, a new machine-readable codebook is available, and SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been prepared for this collection.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)