This study is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Computerized Data on Aging (NACDA), the aging program within ICPSR. NACDA is sponsored by the National Institute on Aging (NIA) at the National Institutes of Heath (NIH).
Bicol Multipurpose Survey (BMS), 1994: [Philippines] (ICPSR 6890)
Principal Investigator(s): Lanzona, Leonard
The objectives of the 1994 Bicol Multipurpose Survey, which were similar to those of the BICOL MULTIPURPOSE SURVEY (BMS), 1978: [PHILIPPINES] (ICPSR 6878) and the 1983 BMS (ICPSR 6889), were to gather information on income, earnings, mobility, fertility, farm production, and health from the residents of the Bicol Region in the Philippines. Households in the province of Camarines Sur were surveyed, with a primary focus on household characteristics, adult and child health, value and income of assets or properties, expenditures on education and liabilities, income such as cash and in-kind transfers, and income from household members not residing in the household, along with agricultural production of rice and other crops. Information about the barangay (a barangay is a political subdivision equivalent to a village in rural areas and to a neighborhood in urban areas) in which the household was located includes environmental sanitation, availability of community services, and cost for community services or family planning. Data regarding successor households (households where the children had taken over the management and supervision of family assets) were examined, along with intergenerational income mobility data (the impact of parental income and investments on children).
These data are available to the general public.
WARNING: Because this study has many datasets, the download all files option has been suppressed, and you will need to download one dataset at a time.
Lanzona, Leonard. Bicol Multipurpose Survey (BMS), 1994: [Philippines]. ICPSR06890-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2013-05-15. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06890.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06890.v2
This study was funded by:
- Rockefeller Foundation (RF91088)
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: Philippines, Global
Date of Collection:
Universe: All farm and nonfarm households residing in 17 IDAs (Integrated Development Areas) and 3 cities of the Bicol Region, Philippines.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Data collected in 1978 (ICPSR 6878), 1983 (ICPSR 6889), and 1994 can be used individually or merged together (with the exception of the Medical Practitioner and Extension Worker surveys conducted in 1978) on a unique household identifier found in Part 15 of ICPSR 6878. Data for 1978, 1983, and 1994 can be merged with data for 1981 (ICPSR 6888) at the community level only. (2) Users should note that barangay codes have been scrambled and documentation has been modified to preserve respondent confidentiality. (3) The data collection instruments and codebook are provided as Portable Document Format (PDF) files. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Website on the Internet. (4) The principal investigator has provided Part 44 to assist users with additional data cleaning of Parts 22 through 27.
Sample: Multistage, stratified random sample of approximately 1,900 households containing more than 17,000 individuals residing in both semi-urban and rural areas. A household is defined as a dwelling where one or more families prepare food in common.
personal interviews and administrative records
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
Original ICPSR Release: 1998-02-10
- 2013-05-15 Incomplete SAS transport (xpt) file for dataset 13 was replaced with SAS CPORT (stc).
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 43 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 42 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.