This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Computerized Data on Aging (NACDA), the aging program within ICPSR. NACDA is sponsored by the National Institute on Aging (NIA) at the National Institutes of Heath (NIH).
Principal Investigator(s): Popkin, Barry M., University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. Carolina Population Center
During 1981, the Bicol Community Survey gathered data from 100 barangays located in the same provinces of the Philippines that were sampled by the BICOL MULTIPURPOSE SURVEY (BMS), 1978: [PHILIPPINES] (ICPSR 6878): Albay, Camarines Sur, and Sorsogon. Barangays are political subdivisions equivalent to villages in rural areas and to neighborhoods in urban areas. Data were gathered at the community level from barangay heads, health care providers (both public and private), traditional birth practitioners (hilots), traditional healers (herbolario), and barangay residents using a questionnaire divided into six different sections, each with its own particular focus. The six sections correspond to the six data files in this collection. Part 1, Infant Food Prices, contains information from one store in each barangay on content, availability, and price information of infant foods. Part 2, Health Services: Availability and Distance, contains one observation for each barangay from either barangay captains, barangay officials, or housewives regarding the time and cost of travel to health providers, both public and private. Part 3, Health Services: Prices and Quality, provides information from 518 heads of health care facilities, private health care professionals, traditional birth practitioners, and traditional healers about travel costs, costs per visit, and costs for prescribed medication. Part 4, Promotional Practices of Infant Food Companies, offers responses from hilots, heads of health facilities, and private professionals about brands of infant formula available, whether free samples and pamphlets were provided, and whether supplies such as pads, pencils, equipment, or posters were donated. Part 5, Environmental Sanitation, provides data from sanitary inspectors on water availability, water conditions, and garbage disposal within the barangay. For Part 6, Health Professionals Survey Data, heads of facilities and private professionals were given a self-administered survey regarding the demographic, educational, and employment characteristics of workers, along with their knowledge of and attitude toward breast-feeding. Interviews conducted with hilots by field workers using the same questionnaire are also included.
These data are freely available.
Popkin, Barry M. Bicol Community Survey (BCS), 1981: [Philippines]. ICPSR06888-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1997. doi:10.3886/ICPSR06888.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06888.v1
This survey was funded by:
- University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. Carolina Population Center
Scope of Study
Date of Collection:
Universe: Barangays within the provinces of Albay, Camarines Sur, and Sorsogon, Philippines.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) The logical record length data and SPSS and SAS data definition statements were extracted from SAS transport files. (2) Data collected in 1978 (6878), 1983 (ICPSR 6889), and 1994 (ICPSR 6890) can be used individually or merged together on a unique household identifier. Data for 1978, 1983, and 1994 can be merged with data for 1981 at the community level only.
Sample: Multistage, stratified random sample of 100 barangays.
You can find more information via the sample characteristics utility:
personal interviews and self-administered questionnaires
Original ICPSR Release: 1997-11-04
- 2006-03-30 File CB6888.APPEND.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.