This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Computerized Data on Aging (NACDA), the aging program within ICPSR. NACDA is sponsored by the National Institute on Aging (NIA) at the National Institutes of Heath (NIH).
Principal Investigator(s): Kaplan, George A., California Department of Health Services. Human Population Laboratory
These data constitute the second wave of a survey designed to study the influence of health practices and social relationships on the physical and mental health of a typical sample of the population. The first wave (HEALTH AND WAYS OF LIVING STUDY, 1965 PANEL [ALAMEDA COUNTY, CALIFORNIA] [ICPSR 6688]) collected information for 6,928 respondents (including approximately 500 women aged 65 years and older) on chronic health conditions, health behaviors, social involvements, and psychological characteristics. The 1974 questionnaire was sent to 6,246 living subjects who had responded in 1965, and were able to be located. A total of 4,864 individuals responded in 1974. Questions were asked on marital and life satisfaction, parenting, physical activities, employment, and childhood experiences. Demographic information on age, race, height, weight, education, income, and religion was also collected. Included with this dataset is a separate file (Part 2) containing mortality data for respondents who died between the 1965 and 1974 panels, and information on nonrespondents.
These data are freely available.
Kaplan, George A. Alameda County [California] Health and Ways of Living Study, 1974 Panel. ICPSR06838-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-01-31. doi:10.3886/ICPSR06838.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06838.v2
This survey was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. National Institute on Aging (5 R37 AG11375-03)
Scope of Study
Date of Collection:
Universe: Households in Alameda County, California.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) See the codebook for a listing of publications related to this study as provided by the Human Population Laboratory. (2) The machine-readable documentation (which includes the data collection instrument) is provided as a Portable Documentation Format (PDF) file.
Sample: A nine-year follow-up of the respondents to the 1965 survey, which consisted of a stratified random sample of Alameda County households with noninstitutionalized residents aged 21 or older, or aged 16-21 and older if married.
Original ICPSR Release: 1997-01-22
- 2008-01-31 The data have been reformatted and the setup files updated.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 3 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~17 citations associated with this study
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.