National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This data collection is part of a series of data collection efforts aimed at studying the nation's locally administered jails. The 1993 census included all locally administered confinement facilities (3,287) that held inmates beyond arraignment and were staffed by municipal or county employees. The census also included 17 jails that were privately operated under contract for local governments and seven facilities maintained by the Federal Bureau of Prisons and functioning as jails. For purposes of this data collection, a local jail was defined as a confinement facility intended for holding adults, and in some cases juveniles pending adjudication or having sentences of a year or less. Jails were further defined as being administered by a local law enforcement agency. Variables include information on jail population by legal status, age, and sex of prisoners, maximum sentence, admissions and releases, available services and programs, structure and capacity, facility age and use of space, expenditure, employment, staff information, and health issues, which include statistics on drugs, AIDS, and tuberculosis.
Series: National Jail Census Series
These data are freely available.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. NATIONAL JAIL CENSUS, 1993. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1996. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06648.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06648.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All locally-administered jails in the United States.
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Excluded from the census were temporary holding facilities, such as drunk tanks and police lockups, that do not hold persons after they are formally charged in court (usually within 72 hours of arrest). Also excluded were state-operated facilities in Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Rhode Island, and Vermont, which have combined jail-prison systems. Five locally-operated jails in Alaska were included. (2) The data collection instrument is provided as an electronic file in Portable Document File (PDF) format. The PDF format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided in the README file on the diskette version of this study and through the NACJD Website on the Internet. The data collection instrument is also available in hardcopy form upon request from ICPSR.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1996-07-13
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.