This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Employment and Ozone Data for Industries in Urban Counties in the United States, 1977-1990 (ICPSR 6639)
Principal Investigator(s): Henderson, J. Vernon
This data collection attempts to fill the need for a better understanding of County Business Patterns (CBP), industry, and ozone levels. Parts 1-5 contain transformed CBP data over a 14-year period. Each dataset corresponds to a different industry, classified by 2-digit Standard Industrial Codes (SIC): Primary Metal Industries (SIC 33), Industrial Machinery and Equipment (SIC 35), Electronic and Other Electrical Equipment (SIC 36), Transport Equipment (SIC 37), and Instruments and Related Products (SIC 38). Data for Parts 6-8 contain hourly ozone readings for a panel of monitors within United States urban counties in July 1982 and 1987. Part 6 corresponds to monitors located in counties that were "in attainment" in both 1982 and 1987, Part 7 corresponds to monitors located in counties that were "out of attainment" or in "partial attainment" those same years, and Part 8 covers remaining monitors that recorded in both 1982 and 1987 (all were out of attainment or in partial attainment in 1982). Part 9 contains Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) data. The measures correspond to monitors measuring ground-level ozone (O3). Other variables in the file include average county wages and employment by Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area (PMSA) and county. Data for Parts 10-14 are organized as panels. Each case in the panel represents a United States urban county over an 11-year period (1977-1987), during which a specified industry had appeared at least once, according to the CBP number of establishments. The following industries are covered: Plastic Materials and Synthetics (SIC 282), Industrial Organic Chemicals (SIC 286), Petroleum Refining (SIC 291), Miscellaneous Plastic Products (SIC 307), and Blast Furnaces and Basic Steel Products (SIC 331).
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
WARNING: Because this study has many datasets, the download all files option has been suppressed, and you will need to download one dataset at a time.
Henderson, J. Vernon. EMPLOYMENT AND OZONE DATA FOR INDUSTRIES IN URBAN COUNTIES IN THE UNITED STATES, 1977-1990. Providence, RI: Brown University/Cambridge, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) [producers], 1995. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1997. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06639.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06639.v1
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation (SBR93 11 881)
Scope of Study
Date of Collection:
Data Types: survey data, and census/enumeration data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) The data files are in ASCII format with STATA data definitions. The STATA data definition statements for all parts are in the codebook. STATA data definition statements for Parts 6-14 are also in the individual data files. An example of how to read Parts 6-14 into SPSS is provided in the codebook. Users should also consult the codebook for computation clarifications. (2) Some data files contain quotation marks, and missing observations are coded with a period (".") in some data files. (3) The variable label for variable mws285, contained in Part 9, is not available. (4) Northern Illinois State University produced the transformed CBP data in Parts 1-5. (5) The codebook is provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Website on the Internet. The codebook is also available in hardcopy form upon request from ICPSR.
(1) United States Department of Commerce. Bureau of the Census, (2) Environmental Protection Agency, (3) the Federal Register, and (4) County and City Data Books.
Original ICPSR Release: 1997-02-13
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 15 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.