This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1998 (ICPSR 4)
Principal Investigator(s): Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research; Congressional Quarterly, Inc.
Roll call voting records for both chambers of the United States Congress through the second session of the 105th Congress are presented in this data collection. Each data file in the collection contains information for one chamber of a single Congress. The units of analysis in each part are the individual members of Congress. Each record contains a member's voting action on every roll call vote taken during that Congress, along with variables that identify the member (e.g., name, party, state, district, uniform ICPSR member number, and most recent means of attaining office). In addition, the codebook provides descriptive information for each roll call, including the date of the vote, outcome in terms of nays and yeas, name of initiator, the relevant bill or resolution number, and a synopsis of the issue.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download these data.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research, and Congressional Quarterly, Inc. United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1998. ICPSR00004-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2010-05-06. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR00004.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR00004.v3
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: eighteenth century, historical data, legislators, nineteenth century, political history, roll call data, roll call voting records, twentieth century, United States Congress, United States House of Representatives, United States Senate, voting behavior
Universe: All roll call votes in the United States Congress.
Data Types: roll call voting data
Data Collection Notes:
The technical format has been standardized for all Congresses. Each file contains data for one chamber of a single Congress.
Materials for the House from the 1st through the 75th Congresses and for the Senate from the 1st through the 73rd Congresses were keypunched from the Congressional Vote Analysis Collection originally prepared by Clifford Lord under Works Progress Administration auspices. Data for the Senate from the 74th through the 78th Congresses were supplied by Richard W. Kirkendall, University of Missouri. Data for the House from the 76th through the 78th Congresses, and for both chambers of the 79th Congress through the 101st Congresses, were prepared by ICPSR staff utilizing the DAILY CONGRESSIONAL RECORD. Data for both chambers from the 102nd through the 105th Congresses were prepared by Congressional Quarterly, Inc.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-06-29
- 2010-05-06 Data for the 105th Congress, House, and Senate (Parts 209-210), have been added to this collection, along with the standard ICPSR full product suite of files.
- 2004-06-17 Variables were added to Part 110, Senate (55th Congress), and data within certain variables were corrected. SAS and SPSS data definition statements and the codebook have been modified to reflect these changes.
- 2001-08-24 Logical record length data for the 8th session of the Senate, Part 16, is being made available along with SAS and SPSS data definition statements. The codebook has been modified to reflect these changes.
- 1998-12-17 Data for the 104th Congress, House and Senate (Parts 207-208), have been added to this collection, along with corresponding machine-readable documentation and SAS and SPSS data definition statements.
- 1997-02-24 Data for the 102nd and 103rd Congresses, House, and Senate (Parts 203-206) have been added to this collection, along with corresponding machine-readable documentation and SAS and SPSS data definition statements.
- View publications for the study (~197)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.