This study was originally provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Center for Health Statistics
This collection provides information on live births in the United States during calendar year 2004. The natality data in these files are a component of the vital statistics collection effort maintained by the federal government. Birth data are limited to births occurring in the United States to United States residents and nonresidents. Births occurring to United States citizens outside of the United States are not included in this data collection. Part 1 contains data on births occurring within the United States, while Part 2 contains data on births occurring in the United States territories of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. Geographic variables include the state and county in which the birth occurred, as well as the population size of the county. Other variables describe the place of delivery, who was in attendance, and medical and health data such as the method of delivery, the number of the prenatal visits, tobacco and alcohol use during pregnancy, pregnancy history, medical risk factors, and infant health characteristics. Birth and fertility rates and other statistics related to this study can be found in the National Vital Statistics Report in the codebook documentation. Demographic variables include the child's sex and month and year of birth, the parent's age, race, and ethnicity, as well as the mother's marital status, education level, place of residence, and place of birth.
Series: Natality Detail File Series
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download the data.
U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics. NATALITY DETAIL FILE, 2004 [UNITED STATES]. ICPSR04707-v1. Hyattsville, MD: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics [producer], 2005. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-08-13. doi:10.3886/ICPSR04707.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04707.v1
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: Alabama, Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York (state), North Carolina, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, United States, Utah, Vermont, Virgin Islands of the United States, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: individual
Universe: Live births in the United States during calendar year 2004.
Data Types: administrative records data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) The full product suite was not released for this study due to the large size of system and transport files. (2) To protect respondent confidentiality, codes in variables FAGERPT, FAGECOMB, UFAGECOMB, MRACE1E through MRACE8E, MAGER, and FRACE1E through FRACE8E were blanked. (3) According to documentation from the principal investigator, United States residents who gave birth in Guam were considered residents of Guam and were assigned a code 1 in the RESTATUS variable. (4) The CASEID variable was created for use with online analysis. (5) Variables XOSTATE, RCNTY_POP, RCITY_POP, MSA_POP, and SEX were converted from character to numeric. (6) Value labels for unknown codes were added in variables APNCU, U_APNCU, and RCITY_POP. (7) More information on natality studies may be found via the National Center for Health Statistics Web Site.
Sample: One-hundred percent of birth certificates issued during calendar year 2004.
You can find more information via the sample characteristics utility:
- Natality Detail File, 2004: [United States], Dataset 0001
- Natality Detail File, 2004: [United States], Dataset 0002
official certificates of live births
state computer records
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created online analysis version with question text.
Original ICPSR Release: 2008-08-13
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)