German Reichstag Election Data, 1871-1912 (ICPSR 43)
This data collection contains electoral data at the wahlkreis and staat levels for the Reichstag elections of 1871, 1874, 1877, 1878, 1881, 1884, 1890, 1893, 1898, 1903, 1907, and 1912. The variables for each election provide information on the votes cast for parties, including the Conservative Party, the German Empire Party, the National-Liberals, the Liberal Empire Party, the People's Party, the Social Democrats, the Progress Party, the Catholic Center, the Particularists, the Poles Party, the Protest Party, the Antisemites, the Free-thinking People's Party, the German Reform Party, the Farmers' Union, the Peasants' Union, and splinter parties. Data are also provided on the total population in 1871 and every fifth year between 1875 and 1910, and the proportions of Protestants and of Catholics in the total population for 1871, 1875, 1880, 1885, 1890, 1905, and 1910. Additional variables provide information on the number of eligible voters, valid and invalid votes cast, and voter turnout.
Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research. GERMAN REICHSTAG ELECTION DATA, 1871-1912. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1991. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR00043.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR00043.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: Catholics, election returns, elections, German Reichstag, nineteenth century, parliamentary elections, political attitudes, political parties, population, Protestants, voters, voter turnout
(1) Monatshefte zur Statistik des Deutschen Reichs, 1879, 1882, 1885, 1887, 1890, (2) Vierteljahrshefte zur Statistik des Deutschen Reichs, 1875, 1893, 1903, 1907, and (3) Statistik des Deutschen Reichs 250 (1912), 4-70
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-06-20
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 3 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)