This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Monitoring of Federal Criminal Sentences, 2003 (ICPSR 4290)
This collection contains information on federal criminal cases sentenced under the Sentencing Guidelines and Policy Statements of the Sentencing Reform Act of 1984. The data files include all cases received by the United States Sentencing Commission that had sentencing dates between October 1, 2002, and September 30, 2003, and were assessed as constitutional. Constitutionality compares each case's sentencing date, circuit, district, and judge to provide uniformity in reporting the cases. In 1999, the United States Sentencing Commission added more variables from its databases to this collection, so the data are now provided in two files. Part 1, Main Data File, includes the most important variables for each case, such as defendant's age, criminal history points, armed criminal status, case disposition, sentence, and fines applied. Part 2, Supplemental Data File, contains additional variables involving multiple guideline computation and count-based statutes. For a more detailed discussion of the two files, users should consult the codebook.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
United States Sentencing Commission. Monitoring of Federal Criminal Sentences, 2003. ICPSR04290-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2007-03-21. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04290.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04290.v3
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Starting with the 1999 data, ICPSR archives MONITORING OF FEDERAL CRIMINAL SENTENCES under a new study number for each year of data. Data for the years 1993-1998 are archived in MONITORING OF FEDERAL CRIMINAL SENTENCES, 1987-1998 (ICPSR 9317).
Federal Probation Sentence and Supervision Information System
judgments of conviction
statements of reasons
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2005-10-11
- 2014-06-25 All parts are being moved from restricted access to public access.
- 2011-03-08 All parts are being moved to restricted access and will be available only using the restricted access procedures.
- 2007-03-21 The data have been resupplied by the Principal Investigator, and the codebook and SAS and SPSS setups have been updated to reflect changes.
- 2005-11-22 A variable has been added to the data that was lost in earlier processing. The codebook and SAS and SPSS setups have been updated.
- List all ~28 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.