State Samples from the Census of Manufacturing: 1850, 1860, and 1870 (ICPSR 4071)
Principal Investigator(s): Bateman, Fred, Indiana University; Weiss, Thomas J., University of Kansas; Atack, Jeremy, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
This collection contains information from the Census of Manufacturing for states and the District of Columbia. It was originally collected to study the failure of southern industrialization. The data describe states and counties in terms of urban or rural, amount of capital invested, and number of male, female, and child workers employed. Additional information includes daily wage for skilled and unskilled labor, annual wage bill, hours in ordinary day's labor, types and quantities of inputs and outputs, power type, and horsepower. The original data were collected by Fred Bateman and Thomas J. Weiss and the collection was later extended by Jeremy Atack.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download the data.
Bateman, Fred, Thomas J. Weiss, with Jeremy Atack. STATE SAMPLES FROM THE CENSUS OF MANUFACTURING: 1850, 1860, AND 1870. ICPSR04071-v1. Lawrence, KS: University of Kansas/Urbana, IL: University of Illinois/Bloomington, IN: Indiana University [producers], 2004. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2004. doi:10.3886/ICPSR04071.v1
Persistent URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04071.v1
This survey was funded by:
- National Science Foundation (GS-2450, GS2456, SOC75-18917, and SOC75-20034)
Scope of Study
Smallest Geographic Unit: city
Geographic Coverage: United States
Unit of Observation: manufacturing establishment/plant
Universe: States and territories in the United States for which records were extant.
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Individual states should be analyzed separately. For aggregations, use the data available as NATIONAL SAMPLES FROM THE CENSUS OF MANUFACTURING: 1850, 1860, and 1870 (ICPSR 4048). (2) State data for 1880 are available as STATE SAMPLES FROM THE 1880 CENSUS OF MANUFACTURING (ICPSR 9384). (3) National data for 1880 are available as NATIONAL SAMPLE FROM THE 1880 CENSUS OF MANUFACTURING (ICPSR 9385). (4) The principal investigators request that the source of these data be credited and that authors using these data send a file copy of their work to Jeremy Atack at Vanderbilt University.
Sample: Random samples from the U.S. Census.
Bureau of the Census documents
Original ICPSR Release: 2004-12-21
- 2006-03-30 File CB4071.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-12-15 On 2005-08-15 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-12-15 to reflect these additions.
Use any of the notification links to add this study to your RSS feed; you will then receive notification if the study is substantively updated.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.