This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
State Samples from the Census of Manufacturing: 1850, 1860, and 1870 (ICPSR 4071)
This collection contains information from the Census of Manufacturing for states and the District of Columbia. It was originally collected to study the failure of southern industrialization. The data describe states and counties in terms of urban or rural, amount of capital invested, and number of male, female, and child workers employed. Additional information includes daily wage for skilled and unskilled labor, annual wage bill, hours in ordinary day's labor, types and quantities of inputs and outputs, power type, and horsepower. The original data were collected by Fred Bateman and Thomas J. Weiss and the collection was later extended by Jeremy Atack.
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
Bateman, Fred, Thomas J. Weiss, with Jeremy Atack. STATE SAMPLES FROM THE CENSUS OF MANUFACTURING: 1850, 1860, AND 1870. ICPSR04071-v1. Lawrence, KS: University of Kansas/Urbana, IL: University of Illinois/Bloomington, IN: Indiana University [producers], 2004. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2004. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04071.v1
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04071.v1
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation (GS-2450, GS2456, SOC75-18917, and SOC75-20034)
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
(1) Individual states should be analyzed separately. For aggregations, use the data available as NATIONAL SAMPLES FROM THE CENSUS OF MANUFACTURING: 1850, 1860, and 1870 (ICPSR 4048). (2) State data for 1880 are available as STATE SAMPLES FROM THE 1880 CENSUS OF MANUFACTURING (ICPSR 9384). (3) National data for 1880 are available as NATIONAL SAMPLE FROM THE 1880 CENSUS OF MANUFACTURING (ICPSR 9385). (4) The principal investigators request that the source of these data be credited and that authors using these data send a file copy of their work to Jeremy Atack at Vanderbilt University.
Original ICPSR Release: 2004-12-21
- 2006-03-30 File CB4071.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-12-15 On 2005-08-15 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-12-15 to reflect these additions.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.