Principal Investigator(s): Balani, Donatella, University of Turin; Monkkonen, Eric, University of California-Los Angeles; Symcox, Geoffrey, University of California-Los Angeles
This study is a census enumeration of the city of Turin, Italy, in 1705. The census was ordered by Duke Victor Amadeus II as the city prepared for a siege from part of the French army, as ordered by King Louis XIV. A house-by-house survey of all inhabitants was conducted to assess how many men were able to bear arms and how many people there were to feed. All of the inhabitants, including both citizens and immigrants streaming into the city from the surrounding countryside to escape the invaders, were listed by name, along with their ages, family relationships, birthplaces, occupations, dwelling places, and any weapons kept in the household. Fifty cantonieri (ward-captains) were assigned to survey the 122 isole (city blocks). The information for 15 of the isole are absent. This study also includes a WinZipped archive of AtlasGIS files, which can be used to produce maps of Turin, Italy.
Balani, Donatella, Eric Monkkonen, and Geoffrey Symcox. Census of Turin, Italy, 1705. ICPSR03577-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2005. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03577.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03577.v1
This study was funded by:
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH: RO-22202-91)
- Ministero dell'Universita Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologia (Italy) (MURST: 4040000 (Quadro 8))
Scope of Study
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: Individuals
Universe: The population living inside the city walls of Turin, Italy, in 1705.
Data Types: census/enumeration data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) The data file contains foreign language characters. (2) The AtlasGIS files are software-specific files for use with a mapping software package. AtlasGIS is owned by Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI). Users should consult the ESRI Web site for information about how to use the GIS files.
Sample: The personnel of the duke's court and the courts of other members of the ducal family were not reported. Students and teachers in the city's two academies were not counted. The clergy, male and female, also were not counted. The Jewish population residing in the single isola (Beato Amedeo) that comprised the ghetto was not included. The inmates of the city's hospitals and poorhouses were not listed. The population of Turin's suburbs outside the city walls was not included in the census.
Original ICPSR Release: 2005-01-07
- 2005-12-15 On 2005-08-15 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-12-15 to reflect these additions.
Related Publications (see Notes)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)