National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Principal Investigator(s): Gold, Martin, University of Michigan. Survey Research Center; Williams, Jay R., University of Michigan. Survey Research Center
This study contains data that measure the frequency and seriousness of delinquent activities among American youths aged 13-16 in 1967. Respondents were asked to indicate which of 16 offenses they had committed in the previous three years and were then asked detailed follow-up questions about the circumstances of each offense that they reported. Respondents' reports of delinquency were then checked against the official delinquency records. Respondents were also asked about their attitudes toward school, school grades, peer group activities, job aspirations, dating habits, and self-perception. Also elicited was information about respondents' family characteristics, such as relationship with their parents, parents' education, job history, and family size. Demographic variables specify sex, date of birth, race, education, nationality, and religion. The study contains two data files. The individual respondent is the unit of analysis in the Main File (Part 1), and the offense is the unit of analysis in the Offenses File (Part 2).
These data are freely available.
Gold, Martin, and Jay R. Williams. NATIONAL SURVEY OF YOUTH, 1967. 2nd ICPSR version. Ann Arbor, MI: Institute for Social Research [producer], 1967. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2003. doi:10.3886/ICPSR03509.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03509.v2
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Potential users of the National Survey of Youth datasets are advised to contact the original principal investigator, Dr. Martin Gold of the Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, about their intended uses of the data. (2) The codebook is provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
Sample: A total of 847 American youths in 1967.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-03-18
- 2006-03-30 File CB3509.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2003-10-17 The data were converted from card image to logical record length format, and the documentation and SAS and SPSS data definition statements were updated to reflect the new format.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.