State Health Policy Research Dataset (SHEPRD): 1980-2010 (ICPSR 34789)
Principal Investigator(s): Silver, Diana, New York University; Macinko, James, New York University
This dataset was developed to study trends in the adoption of state public health laws during 1980-2010. Specifically, the dataset covers annual trends in seatbelt laws, speed limits for passenger vehicles on rural interstates, minimum legal drinking ages, drunk driving laws, laws prohibiting the purchase of alcohol on Sundays, regulations for registering purchased kegs and/or prohibitions against selling kegs, beer taxes and total alcohol tax revenues, motorcycle and bicycle helmet laws, cigarette taxes, cigarette advertising bans, bans on workplace smoking, bans on smoking in restaurants and bars, and tobacco taxes (total revenue). The dataset contains information about these laws for each year between 1980 and 2010, inclusive. In addition, it contains variables that describe the social, economic, demographic, health care, political, and crime chacteristics of the states in each of these years.
These data are freely available.
Silver, Diana, and James Macinko. State Health Policy Research Dataset (SHEPRD): 1980-2010. ICPSR34789-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2014-09-24. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR34789.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR34789.v3
This study was funded by:
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (67150)
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (1R01AA021436-01)
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: States of the U.S.
Data Types: administrative records data, aggregate data, census/enumeration data
Data Collection Notes:
Each state has 31 cases in the dataset, one for each year between 1980-2010, for a total of 1,550 cases.
Original ICPSR Release: 2013-10-03
- 2014-09-24 The principal investigators corrected the variables sbmaxfine, beertaxrate, mldage, zerotolerancelaw, zerotolerancelawbac, opencont, keg_reg and cigtax. The codebook was revised accordingly.
- 2013-12-16 The variable beertaxrate was corrected by the principal investigators.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)