This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Computerized Data on Aging (NACDA), the aging program within ICPSR. NACDA is sponsored by the National Institute on Aging (NIA) at the National Institutes of Heath (NIH).
Census of Population and Housing, 2000 [United States]: Profiles of General Demographic Characteristics (ICPSR 3192)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Commerce. Bureau of the Census
The Profiles of General Demographic Characteristics data are released as individual files for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico, as well as for all 50 states combined (Part 61) and for the entire United States (Part 60). The files contain the 100-percent data, which is the information compiled from questions asked of all people and about every housing unit. The population items include sex, age, race, Hispanic or Latino, household relationship, household type, group quarters population, housing occupancy, and housing tenure. The profiles include a total of 71 population and 25 housing data items.
These data are freely available.
WARNING: Because this study has many datasets, the download all files option has been suppressed, and you will need to download one dataset at a time.
U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING, 2000 [UNITED STATES]: PROFILES OF GENERAL DEMOGRAPHIC CHARACTERISTICS. ICPSR version. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census [producer], 2001. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2001. doi:10.3886/ICPSR03192.v1
Persistent URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR03192.v1
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All persons and housing units in the United States in 2000.
Data Types: census data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) The data items are identical in each of the files, but the geographic coverage differs. The Summary Level Sequence Chart on page 2-1 of the codebook outlines the hierarchical and inventory geographic summaries in their entirety. (2) The part numbers are not consecutive. They correspond to the FIPS codes for states. (3) The codebook is provided by the principal investigator as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
Original ICPSR Release: 2001-07-26
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 86 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 84 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 83 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 82 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 81 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
Use any of the notification links to add this study to your RSS feed; you will then receive notification if the study is substantively updated.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.