This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Federal Justice Statistics Program: Paired-Agency Linked Files, 2013 (ICPSR 30701)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
The new FJSRC linking system, implemented with the 2008 FJSRC data, includes sets of agency dyad linked files created by improved methods of algorithmic matching. There are both inter-agency linked files and intra-agency dyad linked files.
The inter-agency matched pair files (or "dyads") permit the linking of records from two different source agencies for adjacent stages of federal case processing by providing a crosswalk of the agency-specific key ID variables for the two agency data files in the pair. These agency ID variables (sequential ID numbers) may be used to link records from one agency's standard analysis file (SAF) to the next. The system enables users to track individual defendant-cases through stages of the federal criminal justice system (from arrest to prosecution, adjudication, sentencing, and corrections) sequentially, one agency dyad pair at a time. Each inter-agency paired linked file relates the sequential record numbers (i.e. SEQ_NUM) included in the SAFs from one agency/stage to another.
The intra-agency matched pair files (also dyads) permit the same type of linking as described above except that the linkages are within the same federal agency. The linkages are to different stages of case processing withing a particular agency.
The system covers all data years from 1994-2013. These data are part of a series designed by the Urban Institute (Washington, D.C.) and the Bureau of Justice Statistics. Data and documentation were prepared by the Urban Institute through 2012. Data from 2013 and on were prepared by Abt Associates.
One or more files in this data collection have special restrictions ; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the restricted-use data. A login is required to apply.
Access to these data is restricted. Users interested in obtaining these data must complete a Restricted Data Use Agreement, specify the reasons for the request, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
Any public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics. Federal Justice Statistics Program: Paired-Agency Linked Files, 2013. ICPSR30701-v7. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2016-09-19. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR30701.v7
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR30701.v7
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: Cases in the Federal judicial system
Universe: Cases in the federal court system.
Data Types: event/transaction data
Data Collection Notes:
Datasets 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are inter-agency matched pair files. Datasets 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 are intra-agency matched pair files.
Time Method: Cross-sectional
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
Original ICPSR Release: 2011-06-14
- 2016-09-19 The JWSCORE and MAGFLAG variables, present in previous dyad linking files, have been removed to ease use of the linking files. In addition, the data files were updated to include information for 2013.
- 2015-02-05 The data files were updated to include information from 2012.
- 2014-06-16 The data files were updated to include information for 2011.
- 2013-05-17 The codebook was updated to reflect new data files.
- 2013-05-17 The collection was updated to replace datasets 1-9 and add dataset 10. All datasets contain information through 2010.
- 2011-11-11 The study was updated to replace dataset 1 and add datasets 6, 7, 8 and 9.
- 2011-08-08 Data parts 2, 3 and 4 were updated to include new values for the variable JWSCORE.
- 2011-07-22 2011-07-22 The data files were updated to include information for 2009.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~11 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.