This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
United States Newspaper Panel, 1869-2004 (ICPSR 30261)
Principal Investigator(s): Gentzkow, Matthew, University of Chicago, and National Bureau of Economic Research; Shapiro, Jesse M., University of Chicago, and National Bureau of Economic Research; Sinkinson, Michael, Harvard University. Harvard Business School
The United States Newspaper Panel, 1869-2004 contains data on US daily newspapers from 1869 and every presidential year from 1872 to 2004. The data includes information on newspaper political affiliation, party endorsement, circulation, subscription price, advertising price, content, publications times, and publisher. The data came from George P. Rowell and Company's (Rowell's) American Newspaper Directory (1869-1876), N.W. Ayer and Son's (Ayer's) American Newspaper Annual (1880-1928), and the Editor and Publisher Yearbook (1932-2004).
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download these data.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
Gentzkow, Matthew, Jesse M. Shapiro, and Michael Sinkinson. United States Newspaper Panel, 1869-2004. ICPSR30261-v6. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2014-12-10. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR30261.v6
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR30261.v6
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation (SES-0617658, SES-0922342)
Scope of Study
Smallest Geographic Unit: city
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: city, county
Universe: English-language daily newspapers with United States circulation from 1869 to 2004.
Data Types: administrative records data, aggregate data, event/transaction data, text, program source code
Data Collection Notes:
Due to the lack of information, this collection has been minimally processed by ICPSR.
Please refer to the related data collection ICPSR 35513, US Newspapers in the American South, 1869-1896, for data supplementary to this collection.
Study Design: This collection includes English-language daily newspapers. A newspaper is considered to be a daily if it circulates 4 or more weekdays each week. In cases where newspapers published multiple editions, typically both a morning and evening edition, those were treated as separate records. Foreign-language newspapers, national newspapers (the Christian Science Monitor, Wall Street Journal and USA Today), and some non-news publications (e.g., real estate listings, live stock listings, etc.) were excluded from the sample. Please see the User Guide for additional information.
- George P. Rowell and Company's (Rowell's) American Newspaper Directory (1860-1876)
- N.W. Ayer and Son's (Ayer's) American Newspaper Annual (1880-1928)
- Editor and Publisher Yearbook (1932-2004)
Kind of Data: quantitative
Weight: The data are not weighted and no weight variables were provided.
Mode of Data Collection: record abstracts
George P. Rowell and Company's (Rowell's) American Newspaper Directory (1860-1876)
N.W. Ayer and Son's (Ayer's) American Newspaper Annual (1880-1928)
Editor and Publisher Yearbook (1932-2004)
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2011-06-08
- 2014-12-10 Previous releases of the collection contained a single dataset, however, this release contains nine datasets. Several variables were added to the collection and the title was changed at the request of the PI.
- 2012-04-30 This collection has been updated by the principal investigator: the study title was changed from "Counts of US Daily Newspapers by City and Political Affiliation, 1869-2004" to "Number and Circulation of US Daily Newspapers by City and Political Affiliation, 1869-2004" and a number of variables have been added to the data set.
- 2011-07-28 Changed variable labels in data, per PI request.
- 2011-07-01 Changed variable labels in data, per PI request.
- 2011-06-14 Changed title, per PI request.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.