This study was originally provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Education. National Center for Education Statistics
The School District Data Book (SDDB) is an education database and information system. It contains an extensive set of data on children, their households, and the nation's school systems. Under the sponsorship of the National Center for Education Statistics, the Bureau of the Census has produced special tabulation files using the basic record files of the 1990 Census of Population and Housing by school district. These tabulation files contain aggregated data describing attributes of children and households in school districts. Data are organized by seven types of tabulation records: (1) characteristics of all households, (2) characteristics of all persons, (3) characteristics of households with children, (4) characteristics of parents living with children, (5) children's household characteristics, (6) children's parents' characteristics, and (7) children's own characteristics.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download the data.
WARNING: Because this study has many datasets, the download all files option has been suppressed, and you will need to download one dataset at a time.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
U.S. Dept. of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. SCHOOL DISTRICT DATA BOOK (SDDB), 1990: [UNITED STATES]. ICPSR02953-v2. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Education, National Center for Education Statistics [producer], 2000. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2006-10-27. doi:10.3886/ICPSR02953.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02953.v2
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All public elementary and secondary education agencies in operation during 1990-1991 in the 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Data Types: census/enumeration data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Some states have multiple data files because they have large numbers of cases. (2) Two data files are not included in this release. They are: Washington, Part 3, and Wisconsin, Part 4.
1990 Census of Population and Housing record files
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2001-06-27
- 2006-10-27 Variable names were corrected in SAS and SPSS setup files. The processing note in the codebook was also updated to reflect the corrections.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 139 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 138 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 137 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- 2002-05-29 Seventeen additional datasets (Parts 140-156) were added to the collection, including data for two states previously not covered -- Vermont and Washington -- and additional data for Arkansas, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.