This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Census of Population and Housing, 1990 [United States]: Extract Data (ICPSR 2889)
This extraction of data from the 1990 decennial Census files (CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING, 1990 [UNITED STATES]: SUMMARY TAPE FILES 3A AND 3B [ICPSR 9694, 9693]) was designed to provide a set of contextual variables to be matched to any survey dataset that has been coded for the geographic location of respondents. Over 120 variables were selected from original Census sources, and more than 100 variables were derived from those component variables. The variables characterize geographic areas in terms of ethnicity, family structures, income, education, labor force activity, and housing. The geographic areas chosen range from neighborhoods (tracts, Block Numbering Areas [BNAs], and Enumeration Districts [EDs]), through intermediate levels of geography (Minor Civil Divisions and Census County Divisions [MCDs/CCDs], census places, and ZIP codes), through large economic areas (counties, Metropolitan Statistical Areas, State Economic Areas [SEAs], and specially created Labor Market Areas [LMAs]), and beyond to large regions (Economic Sub-Regions [ESRs] and states). To the maximum extent possible, the investigator selected Census variables that seemed relevant to problems associated with poverty and income determination and that were present in comparable form in the 1970 and 1980 Census datasets.
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
Adams, Terry K. Census of Population and Housing, 1990 [United States]: Extract Data. ICPSR02889-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02889.v1
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02889.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation (88ASPE203A (HHS))
- Ford Foundation (890-0047 and 905-0790 (Ford Foundation))
- Rockefeller Foundation (GA-EO-8743(Rockefeller Foundation))
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: census data, demographic characteristics, education, employment, ethnicity, family structure, household composition, housing, housing conditions, income, labor force, population, population characteristics, poverty, social indicators
Geographic Coverage: United States
CENSUS OF POPULATION AND HOUSING, 1990 SUMMARY TAPE FILES 3A (ICPSR 9782) and 3B (ICPSR 6116)
Original ICPSR Release: 2000-09-18
- 2006-01-18 File SP2889.ALL was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-18 File SA2889.ALL was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-18 File CB2889.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.