Schools and Staffing Survey, 1993-1994 [United States]: Teacher Follow-Up Survey, 1994-1995, Revised Version (ICPSR 2763)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Education. National Center for Education Statistics
This data collection is a one-year follow-up of a sample of teachers who responded to the Teacher Questionnaire in the SCHOOLS AND STAFFING SURVEY, 1993-1994 [UNITED STATES]: REVISED VERSION (ICPSR 2748). The Teacher Follow-Up Survey was designed to update data on teacher career patterns and plans and to determine attrition rates. It queried a subsample of teachers who were in the profession during the school year 1993-1994 and has two components: teachers who left the teaching profession between the school years 1993-1994 and 1994-1995 (leavers) and teachers who remained in the profession (stayers). Information in this collection is given separately for public school teachers (Part 1) and private school teachers (Part 2). Questions were asked on topics such as current activity, occupation, career patterns, educational pursuits, future plans, attitudes toward the teaching profession, and overall job satisfaction.
One or more data files in this study are set up in a non-standard format, such as card image format. Users may need help converting these files before they can be used for analysis.
U.S. Dept. of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. SCHOOLS AND STAFFING SURVEY, 1993-1994 [UNITED STATES]: TEACHER FOLLOW-UP SURVEY, 1994-1995, REVISED VERSION. ICPSR version. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Education, Office of Educational Research and Improvement [producer], 1998. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02763.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02763.v1
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Elementary and secondary school teachers who taught in schools that had a first grade and/or higher in the United States during the 1993-1994 school year.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) This revised version of the collection is derived from the NCES's "Schools and Staffing Survey (SASS) and Teacher Followup Survey (TFS) CD-ROM: Public-Use Data for 3 Cycles of SASS and TFS." (2) The codebook and technical manual are provided as Portable Document Format (PDF) files. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Website on the Internet.
Sample: Multistage, stratified subsamples of the Teacher Survey portion of the SCHOOLS AND STAFFING SURVEY, 1993-1994 [UNITED STATES]: REVISED VERSION (ICPSR 2748).
self-enumerated questionnaires, and telephone interviews
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Restrictions: These data are released in accordance with the provisions of the General Education Provisions Act (GEPA). GEPA protects privacy by ensuring that respondents will never be individually identified. Under Public Law 100-297, the National Center for Education Statistics is responsible for protecting the privacy of individual respondents and is releasing these data to be used for statistical purposes only. Record matching or deductive disclosure by any user is prohibited. To ensure that the confidentiality provisions contained in PL 100-297 have been fully implemented, procedures for disclosure avoidance were used in preparing the data in this release. Every effort has been made to provide the maximum research information consistent with reasonable confidentiality protections. Therefore, certain variables have been deleted and others have been recoded into broader categories.
Original ICPSR Release: 1999-08-20
- 2006-01-18 File DOC2763.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-18 File CB2763.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2000-05-01 The SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been updated by the addition of value label statements.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)