This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Patterns in the Bankruptcy Reorganization of Large, Publicly Held Companies, 1979-1988: [United States] (ICPSR 2555)
Principal Investigator(s): LoPucki, Lynn M.; Whitford, William C.
This data collection gathered information on select large, publicly held companies that filed for bankruptcy during 1979-1988. The goal of the study was to identify patterns in the filing, processing, and distributions of bankruptcy reorganization in large, publicly held companies. Data were collected on the companies' income, assets, sales, trading, value of stocks and notes, equity, claims, debt filing, mode of bankruptcy filing, secured and unsecured claims, distribution to unsecured creditors and equity holders, and liquidation. Data are also provided on the name of the debtor company, place, date, and day of bankruptcy filing, and the number of persons employed by the company before and after filing for bankruptcy. Additional information is provided on changes at the chief executive officer (CEO) level before, during, and after bankruptcy, and on the CEO's exit salary.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download the data.
WARNING: Because this study has many datasets, the download all files option has been suppressed, and you will need to download one dataset at a time.
LoPucki, Lynn M., and William C. Whitford. PATTERNS IN THE BANKRUPTCY REORGANIZATION OF LARGE, PUBLICLY HELD COMPANIES, 1979-1988: [UNITED STATES]. ICPSR version. St. Louis, MO: Lynn M. LoPucki, Washington University School of Law/Madison, WI: William C. Whitford, University of Wisconsin Law School [producers], 1998. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1998. doi:10.3886/ICPSR02555.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02555.v1
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation (SES-8618353)
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Bankruptcy reorganization cases filed by or against debtors in bankruptcy courts of the United States on or before October 1, 1979, with plan confirmed on or before March 15, 1988, and with debtor listed assets of $100 million or more and at least one class of the debtor's investment securities publicly held.
Data Types: survey data, aggregate data, and machine-readable text
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Parts 26-31 are numeric data files that contain the variables NSF20, NSF40, NSF60, NSF80, NSF95, and NSFVENUE for all companies. The remaining 46 files in the collection are in ASCII text format, and they provide individual narrative descriptions of the bankruptcy filings for each separate company. The text files consist of one wrapped line. (2) The codebook, record layout, and data map are provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Website on the Internet.
(1) personal interviews, (2) Securities Exchange Commission and NASDAQ, and (3) courts, parties, and newspaper sources
Original ICPSR Release: 1998-12-10
- 2006-01-12 All files were removed from dataset 53 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.