This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Common Core of Data: State Nonfiscal Survey, 1995-1996 (ICPSR 2450)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Education. National Center for Education Statistics
The primary purpose of the State Nonfiscal Survey is to provide basic information on public elementary and secondary school students and staff for each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and outlying territories (American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and the Marshall Islands). The database provides the following information on students and staff: general information (name, address, and telephone number of the state education agency), staffing information (number of FTEs on the instructional staff, guidance counselor staff, library staff, support staff, and administrative staff), and student information (membership counts by grade, counts of high school completers, counts of high school completers by racial/ethnic breakouts, and breakouts for dropouts by grade, sex, race).
Series: Common Core of Data (CCD) Series
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download these data.
U.S. Dept. of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. COMMON CORE OF DATA: STATE NONFISCAL SURVEY, 1995-1996. ICPSR version. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Education, National Center for Education Statistics [producer], 1997. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1998. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02450.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02450.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: demographic characteristics, educational administration, elementary schools, high school graduates, high schools, junior high schools, middle schools, noninstructional staff, public schools, school districts, school dropouts, school enrollments, students, teachers
Geographic Coverage: American Samoa, Guam, Marshall Islands, Puerto Rico, United States, Virgin Islands of the United States, Global
Date of Collection:
Universe: All public elementary and secondary education agencies in the 50 states, the District of Columbia, United States territories (American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and the Marshall Islands), and Department of Defense schools outside of the United States.
Data Types: census/enumeration data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) Part 2, Imputed Data, is a different version of the data in Part 1, Reported Data. The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) imputed and adjusted some reported values in order to create a data file (Part 2) that more accurately reflects student and staff counts and improves comparability between states. Imputations are defined as cases where the missing value is not reported at all, indicating that subtotals for the category are under-reported. An imputation by NCES assigns a value to the missing item, and the subtotals containing this item increase by the amount of the imputation. Imputations and adjustments were performed on the 50 states and Washington, DC, only. Since all states and Washington, DC, reported data in this survey, these imputations and adjustments were implemented to correct for item nonresponse only. This process consisted of several stages and steps, and varied as to the nature of the missing data. No adjustments or imputations were made to high school graduates or other high school completer categories, nor were any adjustments or imputations performed on the race/ethnicity data. (2) The Instruction Manual that is included with this data collection also applies to COMMON CORE OF DATA: PUBLIC EDUCATION AGENCY UNIVERSE, 1995-1996 (ICPSR 2468) and COMMON CORE OF DATA: PUBLIC SCHOOL UNIVERSE, 1995-1996 (ICPSR 2470). (3) The codebook, data collection instrument, and instruction manual are provided as two Portable Document Format (PDF) files. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using the Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 3.0 or later). Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Website on the Internet.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1998-08-03
- 2006-01-18 File DOC2450.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-18 File CB2450.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.