This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Estimates of the Population of Counties by Age, Sex, Race, and Hispanic Origin [United States]: 1990-1996 (ICPSR 2372)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Commerce. Bureau of the Census
These data are estimates of the resident population of the counties in the United States. Part 1 provides county population estimates by five-year age category (ages 0-4, 5-9, etc.), sex, and modified race/Hispanic origin. Data in Part 2 are presented by single-year age (under 1 year, 1 year, ..., 84 years, 85 years and over) and sex. Part 3 contains estimates of the state total and the counties of each state by modified race and Hispanic origin. The estimates are for July 1st of each year during 1990-1996.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download the data.
United States Department of Commerce. Bureau of the Census. Estimates of the Population of Counties by Age, Sex, Race, and Hispanic Origin [United States]: 1990-1996. ICPSR02372-v2. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2011-08-15. doi:10.3886/ICPSR02372.v2
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02372.v2
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All counties in the United States as identified in the 1990 Decennial Census.
Data Types: aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
The codebook is provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Website on the Internet.
(1) The April 1, 1990, modified census counts for counties, (2) extracts of detailed individual-record data on births and deaths from the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), (3) annual extract of tax returns provided by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), (4) a 20-percent sample of information on the Social Security Administration Application File for internal migration, and (5) immigration data from the Immigration and Naturalization Service
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
Original ICPSR Release: 1998-04-28
- 2011-08-15 SAS, SPSS, and Stata setups have been added to this data collection.
- 2006-01-18 File CB2372.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.