A data archive for demography and population sciences
This study was originally processed, archived, and disseminated by Data Sharing and Demographic Research, a project funded by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD).
Principal Investigator(s): Desai, Sonalde, University of Maryland; Vanneman, Reeve, University of Maryland; National Council of Applied Economic Research, New Delhi
The India Human Development Survey 2005 (IHDS) is a nationally representative, multi-topic survey of 41,554 households in 1,503 villages and 971 urban neighborhoods across India. Two one-hour interviews in each household covered topics concerning health, education, employment, economic status, marriage, fertility, gender relations, and social capital. Children aged 8-11 completed short reading, writing and arithmetic tests. Additional village, school, and medical facility interviews are also available.
These data are freely available.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
Desai, Sonalde, Reeve Vanneman, and National Council of Applied Economic Research, New Delhi. India Human Development Survey (IHDS), 2005. ICPSR22626-v8. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2010-06-29. doi:10.3886/ICPSR22626.v8
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR22626.v8
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. National Institutes of Health. Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (R01HD041455, R01HD046166)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: child care, child rearing, demographic characteristics, disposable income, education, employment, extended families, family background, family life, fertility, gender roles, gender stereotypes, health, housework, housing, income, marital status, parents, social status, socioeconomic status
Smallest Geographic Unit: state
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: individual, household, and village
Universe: Nationally representative sample of Indian households.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
The IHDS dataset was produced by the National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER), New Delhi, and the University of Maryland.
Sample: Nationally representative, multi-topic survey of 41,554 households in 1,503 villages and 971 urban neighborhoods across India.
Mode of Data Collection: record abstracts, coded on-site observation, cognitive assessment test, face-to-face interview, mixed mode, on-site questionnaire
Response Rates: Response rates were calculated as 82 percent for the recontact sample, 98 percent for the new sample, and 92 percent for the total response rate.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
- Standardized missing values.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2008-07-30
- 2013-06-17 The Household data (Part 2) were updated to add the following eight variables that had been mistakenly omitted from the dataset: NWORK, NFARM, NANIMAL, NAGWAGE, NNONAG, NSALARY, NBUSINESS, and INCOTHER. The Household data codebook was also updated.
- 2010-06-29 Additional documentation file has been added.
- 2010-05-04 Additional documentation files have been added.
- 2010-03-25 At the principal investigator's request, an ID variable was removed.
- 2010-02-17 Added village-level and crop data as new parts
- 2009-08-25 Added updated versions of the Medical and Primary School questionnaires.
- 2009-06-22 Added updated versions of the Household and the Individual datasets, and added Medical, Non-Resident, School, and Birth History datasets.
- 2009-02-10 Added the original questionnaires that were used during data collection.
- 2008-12-11 At the principal investigator's request, an ID variable was removed and the citation was updated
- 2008-08-22 The title for Part 1 has been revised and response rate information has been added.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~124 citations associated with this study
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.