National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
State Court Processing Statistics, 1990-2009: Felony Defendants in Large Urban Counties (ICPSR 2038)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Originally known as the National Pretrial Reporting Program, the State Court Processing Statistics (SCPS) program tracks felony cases filed in May of a given year until final disposition or until one year has elapsed from the date of filing. This collection presents data on felony cases filed in approximately 40 of the nation's 75 most populous counties in even numbered years from 1990-2006 and 2009. These 75 counties account for more than a third of the United States population and approximately half of all reported crimes. The cases from these 40 jurisdictions are weighted to represent all felony filings during the month of May in the 75 most populous counties. Data were collected on arrest charges, demographic characteristics, criminal history, pretrial release and detention, adjudication, and sentencing.
One or more files in this study are not available for download due to special restrictions ; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the data. A login is required to apply for access. (How to apply.)
Access to these data is restricted. Users interested in obtaining these data must complete a Restricted Data Use Agreement, specify the reasons for the request, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics. State Court Processing Statistics, 1990-2009: Felony Defendants in Large Urban Counties. ICPSR02038-v5. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2014-06-24. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02038.v5
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02038.v5
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: case processing, court cases, criminal histories, defendants, disposition (legal), felons, felony courts, pretrial detention, pretrial release, sentencing, state courts, statistical data
Smallest Geographic Unit: county
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: felony case
Universe: Felony court filings during the month of May in even years from 1990-2006 and 2009 in the 75 most populous counties in the United States.
Data Types: event/transaction data
Data Collection Notes:
Part 1, 1990-2009 Cumulative Data, has its own codebook, which is separate from the codebook for Part 10, 2006 Data. Parts 6, 7, and 8, 1998-2004 Data, also have their own codebooks. Parts 2-5, the 1990, 1992, 1994, and 1996 individual-year data files, share the same codebook.
Part 6, 1998 Data, contains over 100 new variables that were created by the principal investigator.
Parts 2-5, the 1990, 1992, 1994, and 1996 data files, were created from the 1990-1996 Cumulative Data file.
This version of the data supersedes all previous National Pretrial Reporting Program files.
Variable names and value labels have been made consistent across the 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2006 files. All years use "8" codes for not applicable and "9" codes for missing data. Since some variables did not exist for all years, there may be instances in which all cases are missing for a variable within a given year.
There are 25 additional variables in Part 10, 2006 Data that are not in Part 1, 1990-2009 Cumulative Data.
Sample: In a two-stage sampling process, the first stage was a stratified sample to select 40 of the 75 most populous counties, and the second stage was a systematic sample of defendants based on felony filings within each selected county.
national, state, local agencies
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1998-09-11
- 2014-06-24 The cumulative data file was updated to also include the 2009 data (Part 1, 1990-2009 Cumulative Data). The title of Part 1 has been revised to reflect the range of years the data were collected. The documentation has been revised for Part 1, 1990-2009 Cumulative Data.
- 2011-08-19 All parts are being moved to restricted access and will be available only using the restricted access procedures.
- 2010-09-03 Data were added to the collection for 2006 (Part 10, 2006 Data) and the cumulative data file was updated to also include the 2006 data (Part 1, 1990-2006 Cumulative Data). The title of Part 1 has been revised to reflect the range of years the data were collected. The documentation has been revised for Part 1, 1990-2006 Cumulative Data, and for Part 10, 2006 Data.
- 2007-11-28 The cumulative data for 1990 to 2004 were submitted by the principal investigator. Part 1 has been modified.
- 2006-03-17 The 2002 data were submitted by the principal investigator. Part 1 has been modified, and Part 8 has been added.
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2004-05-20 Data were added to the collection for 2000 (Part 7, 2000 Data) and the cumulative data file was updated to also include the 2000 data (Part 1, 1990-2000 Cumulative Data). The title of the study has been revised to reflect the range of years the data were collected instead of individual years.
- 2004-05-20 Documentation has been revised for Part 7, 2000 Data, and for Part 1, 1990-2000 Cumulative Data.
- View publications for the study (~84)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.