This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Commerce. Bureau of the Census
This study contains aggregate socioeconomic and demographic data as well as electoral returns for the offices of the United States President and United States Representatives for the elections of 1966-1970 for the congressional districts of the 93rd Congress. Data are provided for the number of votes cast for the Democratic candidates and the Republican candidates, the percentage of votes received by the winning party, and the total number of votes cast in the 1966, 1968, and 1970 elections for United States Representatives, as well as the total votes cast for the office of president, and the number of votes cast for each party's presidential candidate in the 1968 election. Information is also provided on housing characteristics, employment, income, poverty level, and military enrollment for the 93rd congressional districts. Demographic variables provide information on age, race, sex, marital status, education, and place of birth for the population of these congressional districts. In addition to the congressional district level, data aggregated to the state level are also available.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download the data.
U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. UNITED STATES CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT DATA BOOK FOR THE NINETY-THIRD CONGRESS, 1973. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1999. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR00011.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR00011.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: candidates, congressional districts, congressional elections, Democratic Party (USA), election returns, ethnicity, housing, income, national elections, presidential elections, Republican Party (USA), United States Congress, United States House of Representatives, vote count, voters
Geographic Coverage: United States
Universe: United States 93rd congressional districts in the period 1966-1973.
Data Types: census data, and aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) See also the related data collection, UNITED STATES CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT DATA BOOKS (ICPSR 0010). (2) Several files of reduced logical record lengths have been created from the original Bureau format, due to the large amount of available data, in order to facilitate selective retrievals from the database. This feature also allows the data to be supplied in card-image format. (3) The codebook is provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
(1) United States Department of Commerce. Bureau of the Census. FIFTH COUNT FILES OF POPULATION AND HOUSING, and (2) Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) electoral returns data, 1966-1970
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-06-20
- 2005-12-22 All files were removed from dataset 5 and flagged as study-level files, so that they will accompany all downloads.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.