This study was originally provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Education. National Center for Education Statistics
This data collection consists of four integrated surveys of schools, administrators, and teachers in the United States. The 1993-1994 survey was expanded to include a student survey, in which information about students was taken from school administrative records, and a library survey, which collected data on school libraries and librarians (presented in Parts 5 and 6, the School Data). Parts 1 and 2, Public and Private Teacher Data, provide information on teaching assignment, teaching experience, certification, professional development, teaching workload, perceptions and attitudes about teaching, teacher salaries and incentives, retirement policies, job mobility, workplace conditions, and school disciplinary and academic problems. Parts 3 and 4, Public and Private Administrator Data, provide information about the training, experience, professional background, and demographic characteristics of school principals, and about the types of school problems principals view as serious. Parts 5 and 6, Public and Private School Data, present data on school characteristics, enrollment, student-staff ratios, programs and services offered, and length of the school day. Variables in Part 7, Public District Data, include information on student enrollment, number of full-time and part-time teachers, demographics of students and teachers, and information on lunch programs.
One or more data files in this study are set up in a non-standard format, such as card image format. Users may need help converting these files before they can be used for analysis.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download the data.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
U.S. Dept. of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. SCHOOLS AND STAFFING SURVEY, 1993-1994 [UNITED STATES]: REVISED VERSION.. ICPSR version. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Education, Office of Educational Research and Improvement [producer], 1998. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. doi:10.3886/ICPSR02748.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02748.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: educational administrators, elementary education, private schools, public schools, secondary education, school enrollments, school libraries, school personnel, teacher education, teacher shortages, teaching (occupation)
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Public and private schools in the United States in 1993-1994.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) This version of the collection is derived from the NCES's "Schools and Staffing Survey (SASS) and Teacher Followup Survey (TFS) CD-ROM: Public-Use Data for 3 Cycles of SASS and TFS." (2) The 1993-1994 SASS datasets are also available from SCHOOLS AND STAFFING SURVEY, 1993-1994: [UNITED STATES] [ECB Version on CD-ROM] (ICPSR 6753). (3) The codebook and technical manual are provided as Portable Document Format (PDF) files. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Website on the Internet.
Sample: Stratified sample.
self-enumerated questionnaires, and telephone interviews
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1999-08-18
- 2006-01-18 File DOC2748.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-18 File CB2748.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2000-05-01 The SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been updated by the addition of value label statements.
Related Publications (?)
- List all ~56 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.