This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Schools and Staffing Survey, 1990-1991 [United States]: Revised Version (ICPSR 2745)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Education. National Center for Education Statistics
This data collection, a revised version of SCHOOLS AND STAFFING SURVEY, 1990-1991: [UNITED STATES] (ICSPR 6313), consists of four integrated surveys of public and private schools, administrators, and teachers in the United States. Information is presented separately for public and private schools for all surveys except the Teacher Demand and Shortage Survey in this revised version of the collection. Part 1, the Teacher Demand and Shortage Survey, presents information from schools and local education agencies on student enrollment, number of teachers, position vacancies, new hires, teacher salaries and incentives, and hiring and retirement policies. Parts 2 and 3, the School Administrator Survey, include information about training, experience, professional background, and job activities of school principals and headmasters. Questions in Parts 4 and 5, the Teacher Survey, cover teacher education and training, teaching assignment, teaching experience, certification, teaching workload, perceptions and attitudes about teaching, job mobility, and workplace conditions. Parts 6 and 7, the School Survey, provide data from elementary and secondary schools on student characteristics, staffing patterns, student-teacher ratios, enrollment by grade, types of programs and services offered, length of school day and school year, graduation and college application rates, and teacher turnover rates.
One or more data files in this study are set up in a non-standard format, such as card image format. Users may need help converting these files before they can be used for analysis.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download these data.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
U.S. Dept. of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. SCHOOLS AND STAFFING SURVEY, 1990-1991 [UNITED STATES]: REVISED VERSION. ICPSR version. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Education, Office of Educational Research and Improvement [producer], 1998. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02745.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02745.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: educational administrators, elementary education, private schools, public schools, secondary education, school enrollments, school personnel, teacher education, teacher shortages, teaching (occupation)
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Public and private schools in the United States.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) This revised version of the collection is derived from the NCES's "Schools and Staffing Survey (SASS) and Teacher Followup Survey (TFS) CD-ROM: Public-Use Data for 3 Cycles of SASS and TFS." This version contains additional created variables and supersedes ICPSR 6313. (2) The codebook and technical manual are provided as Portable Document Format (PDF) files. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Website on the Internet.
Sample: Stratified sample.
self-enumerated questionnaires, and telephone interviews
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1999-11-02
- 2006-01-18 File DOC2745.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-18 File CB2745.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2000-01-18 The SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been updated with the addition of value label statements.
- View publications for the study (~58)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.