This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Schools and Staffing Survey, 1987-1988 [United States]: Revised Version (ICPSR 2733)
This data collection, a revised version of SCHOOLS AND STAFFING SURVEY, 1987-1988 [UNITED STATES] (ICPSR 9846), consists of four integrated surveys of schools, administrators, and teachers in the United States. Information is presented separately for public and private schools in this revised version of the collection. Parts 1 and 2, the Teacher Demand and Shortage Surveys, provide information on student enrollment, number of teachers, position vacancies, new hires, teacher salaries and incentives, and hiring and retirement policies. Parts 3 and 4, the School Administrator Surveys, include information about training, experience, professional background, and job activities of school principals and headmasters. Parts 5 and 6, the School Surveys, present data on student characteristics, staffing patterns, student-teacher ratios, types of programs and services offered, length of school day and school year, graduation and college application rates, and teacher turnover rates. Questions in Parts 7 and 8, the Teacher Surveys, cover teacher education and training, teaching assignment, teaching experience, certification, teaching workload, perceptions and attitudes about teaching, job mobility, and workplace conditions.
One or more data files in this study are set up in a non-standard format, such as card image format. Users may need help converting these files before they can be used for analysis.
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
U.S. Dept. of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. SCHOOLS AND STAFFING SURVEY, 1987-1988 [UNITED STATES]: REVISED VERSION. ICPSR version. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Education, Office of Educational Research and Improvement [producer], 1998. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2000. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02733.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02733.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: educational administrators, elementary education, private schools, public schools, secondary education, school enrollments, school personnel, teacher education, teacher shortages, teaching (occupation)
Geographic Coverage: United States
(1) This revised version of the collection is derived from the NCES's "Schools and Staffing Survey (SASS) and Teacher Followup Survey (TFS) CD-ROM: Public-Use Data for 3 Cycles of SASS and TFS." This version contains created variables and supersedes ICPSR 9846. (2) The codebook and technical manual are provided as Portable Document Format (PDF) files. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Website on the Internet.
self-enumerated questionnaires, and telephone interviews
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Restrictions: These data are released in accordance with the provisions of the General Education Provisions Act (GEPA). GEPA protects privacy by ensuring that respondents will never be individually identified. Under Public Law 100-297, the National Center for Education Statistics is responsible for protecting the confidentiality of individual respondents and is releasing these data to be used for statistical purposes only. Record matching or deductive disclosure by any user is prohibited. To ensure that the confidentiality provisions contained in PL 100-297 have been fully implemented, procedures for disclosure avoidance were used in preparing the data in this release. Every effort has been made to provide the maximum research information consistent with reasonable confidentiality protections. Therefore, certain variables have been deleted and others have been recoded into broader categories.
Original ICPSR Release: 1999-06-16
- 2006-01-18 File DOC2733.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2006-01-18 File CB2733.ALL.PDF was removed from any previous datasets and flagged as a study-level file, so that it will accompany all downloads.
- 2000-05-01 Information about variable values has been added to the SAS and SPSS data definition statements.
- 1999-08-18 Decimal specifications in the SPSS data definition statements for this collection have been corrected.
- List all ~46 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.