This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Principal Investigator(s): Crewe, Ivor, University of Essex; Saerlvik, Bo, University of Essex; Robertson, David, University of Essex
This survey is part of a series of surveys directed by the British Election Study at the University of Essex from 1974 to 1979, and is a continuation of a previous series of surveys covering the general elections from 1964 to 1970 conducted at Nuffield College, Oxford. Personal interviews were conducted with respondents in the weeks immediately following the May 3, 1979, British general election. Interviews lasted an average of 78 minutes. Variables include the news media through which respondent learned about the campaign, involvement (if any) with a campaign, and ability to identify the candidates.
One or more data files in this study are set up in a non-standard format, such as card image format. Users may need help converting these files before they can be used for analysis.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download the data.
Crewe, Ivor, Bo Saerlvik, and David Robertson. BRITISH ELECTION STUDY: MAY 1979, CROSS-SECTION. ICPSR08196-v1. Colchester, England: Ivor Crewe et al., University of Essex, and Research Services Ltd. [producers], 1979. Colchester, England: ESRC Data Archive/Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributors], 2006-01-31. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08196.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08196.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: information sources, national elections, political attitudes, political campaigns, political change, political involvement, public opinion, quality of life, social attitudes, social change, voter attitudes, voting behavior, voting patterns
Date of Collection:
Universe: Electors in 200 constituencies in Great Britain.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) These data were provided by the Social Science Research Council (SSRC) Survey Archive, University of Essex, England. In accordance with an agreement with SSRC, the data and accompanying documentation are disseminated exactly as received without modification by ICPSR. This agreement also provides that ICPSR will disseminate the data only for use within member institutions. (2) Users are advised that the following studies were provided by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) Survey Archive, University of Essex, England:
- British Election Study: February 1974, Cross-Section (ICPSR 7868)
- British Election Study: 1969-1970, February 1974 Panel (ICPSR 7869)
- British Election Study: October 1974, Cross-Section (ICPSR 7870)
- British Election Study: October 1974, Scottish Cross-Section (ICPSR 7871)
- British Election Study: EEC Referendum Study, 1975 (ICPSR 7872)
- British Election Study: May 1979, Cross Section (ICPSR 8196)
- British Election Study: [June] 1983 (ICPSR 8409)
- British Social Attitudes Survey, 1986 (ICPSR 8910)
Sample: Multistage stratified sample with a clustering of individuals in polling districts as primary sampling units.
Mode of Data Collection: personal interview
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-07-12
- 2006-01-31 PDF documentation files provided by the UK Data Archive have been made available with this collection.
- List all ~16 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.