This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Juvenile Court Statistics, 1991: [United States] (ICPSR 6582)
This data collection describes in quantitative terms the volume of juvenile cases disposed in 1991 by courts having jurisdiction over juvenile matters (delinquency, status offense, and dependency cases). Inaugurated in 1926 to furnish an index of the problems brought before the juvenile courts, this series is the oldest continuous source of information on the processing of delinquent and dependent youth by juvenile courts. It is the most detailed information available on youth who come in contact with the juvenile justice system and on the activities of the nation's juvenile courts. Information is provided on state, county, number of delinquency cases, number of status offense cases, number of dependency cases, and total number of cases. The data distinguish cases with and without the filing of a petition.
Series: Juvenile Court Statistics Series
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
National Center for Juvenile Justice. Juvenile Court Statistics, 1991: [United States]. ICPSR06582-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1995. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06582.v1
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06582.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (92-JN-CX-0001)
Scope of Study
Geographic Coverage: United States
Juvenile Court Statistics survey forms, annual reports and automated data files
Original ICPSR Release: 1995-12-20
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- List all ~23 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.