National Archive of Criminal Justice Data
This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Federal Court Cases: Integrated Data Base, 2003 (ICPSR 4026)
Principal Investigator(s): Federal Judicial Center
The purpose of this data collection is to provide an official public record of the business of the federal courts. The data originate from district and appellate court offices throughout the United States. Information was obtained at two points in the life of a case: filing and termination. The termination data contain information on both filing and terminations, while the pending data contain only filing information.
One or more files in this study are not available for download due to special restrictions ; consult the restrictions note to learn more. You can apply online for access to the data. A login is required to apply for access. (How to apply.)
A downloadable version of data for this study is available however, certain identifying information in the downloadable version may have been masked or edited to protect respondent privacy. Additional data not included in the downloadable version are available in a restricted version of this data collection. For more information about the differences between the downloadable data and the restricted data for this study, please refer to the codebook notes section of the PDF codebook. Users interested in obtaining restricted data must complete and sign a Restricted Data Use Agreement, describe the research project and data protection plan, and obtain IRB approval or notice of exemption for their research.
Federal Judicial Center. Federal Court Cases: Integrated Data Base, 2003. ICPSR04026-v6. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2012-06-18. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04026.v6
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR04026.v6
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: administration, appellate courts, case dismissal, case processing, civil law, court cases, criminal law, defendants, disposition (legal), federal courts, judicial decisions, legal systems, pretrial procedures, records, trial courts, trial procedures
Smallest Geographic Unit: County
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Unit of Observation: Appellate terminations data -- case Civil terminations data -- case Criminal data -- defendant
Universe: All federal court cases in the United States in 2003
Data Types: event/transaction data
Data Collection Notes:
Starting with the year 2001, each year of data for Federal Court Cases is released by ICPSR as a separate study number. Federal Court Cases data for the years 1970-2000 can be found in FEDERAL COURT CASES: INTEGRATED DATA BASE, 1970-2000 (ICPSR 8429).
Time Method: Cross-sectional
computerized court records, and administrative records
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 2004-06-17
- 2012-06-18 The civil data files were updated.
- 2011-04-12 All parts are being moved to restricted access and will be available only using the restricted access procedures.
- 2005-04-22 Data files for Part 4, Civil Pending, 2003, in both restricted and unrestricted forms and Part 5, Criminal Data, 2003, have been added along with corresponding SAS and SPSS setup files and codebooks in PDF format.
- 2005-01-07 A restricted data file for Part 3, Civil Terminations, 2003, has been added to the data collection. The unrestricted data file for Part 3 and its corresponding SAS and SPSS setup files have been updated. The codebook has been modified to reflect these changes.
- View publications for the study (~20)
- View publications for the series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.