This dataset is maintained and distributed by the National Archive of Criminal Justice Data (NACJD), the criminal justice archive within ICPSR. NACJD is primarily sponsored by three agencies within the U.S. Department of Justice: the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the National Institute of Justice, and the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Annual Survey of Jails: Jurisdiction-Level and Jail-Level Data, 1992 (ICPSR 6395)
Principal Investigator(s): United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
This collection provides annual data on jail populations across the nation and examines the "spillover" effect on local jails resulting from the dramatic growth in federal and state prison populations. These data permit an assessment of the demands placed on correctional resources and provide a comprehensive picture of the adult correctional system and changes that occur within the system. Information is available on the number of inmates by sex, race, adult or juvenile status, reason being held, and cause of death. Also added in the 1992 survey were variables on citizenship, population movement, and total number of inmate deaths for inmates originally confined to the facility in question who died either at that facility or elsewhere. Also, the 1992 version included a more complete survey of jail programs and a supplemental questionnaire (CJ-5S), which dealt with AIDS-related questions. In addition, information was collected for the first time on drug testing, programs that treated or educated inmates, boot camps, work release, and alternatives to incarceration such as electronic monitoring, house arrest, community service, and weekend or day reporting.
These data are available to the general public.
U.S. Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. ANNUAL SURVEY OF JAILS: JURISDICTION-LEVEL AND JAIL-LEVEL DATA, 1992. Conducted by U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. ICPSR ed. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 2001. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06395.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR06395.v1
This study was funded by:
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. Bureau of Justice Statistics
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: alternatives to institutionalization, correctional facilities, correctional system, demographic characteristics, drug testing, jail inmates, jails, overcrowding effects, population characteristics, prerelease programs, probation
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: All local jails in the United States listed in the NATIONAL JAIL CENSUS, 1988 (ICPSR 9256).
Data Types: survey data, and aggregate data
Data Collection Notes:
(1) A "Census Use Only" variable is present in the Jurisdiction-Level Data file, but not in the Jail-Level Data file. (2) The codebooks are provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
Sample: A stratified random sample of county or city jurisdictions stratified by average daily population (ADP) as reported by the NATIONAL JAIL CENSUS, 1988 (ICPSR 9256) with allocation to the strata based on 1988 ADP.
telephone interviews, and self-enumerated forms
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1995-06-06
- 2005-11-04 On 2005-03-14 new files were added to one or more datasets. These files included additional setup files as well as one or more of the following: SAS program, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata system files. The metadata record was revised 2005-11-04 to reflect these additions.
- 2001-11-14 At the request of the principal investigator, the title for this collection was changed from the National Survey of Jails: Jurisdiction-Level and Jail-Level Data, 1992, to Annual Survey of Jails: Jurisdiction-Level and Jail-Level Data, 1992, to more accurately reflect the scope of the survey. Corresponding documentation files have been edited to reflect the change in title.
Related Publications (?)
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.