Investigator(s): Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR)
The State Legislative Election Returns series was developed by ICPSR and was supported by grants from the National Science Foundation. A major purpose of this data series was to extend detailed study of electoral and governmental processes in the United States to the state and local levels, and to encourage comparative analyses of voting patterns, political party competition, and partisan control between different states or regions. ICPSR's holdings of state legislative election returns data cover the years 1968-1989 (ICPSR 8907), and 1993-1994 (ICPSR 2019). The datasets include election returns at the district, county, constituency, and candidate levels for state legislative races contested in all 50 states in the United States. Included also are special election returns, when provided as part of the official returns for the states (ICPSR 2019), and primary election returns for 16 southern and border states in the period 1968-1989 (ICPSR 8907).
Most Recent Studies
- State Legislative Election Candidate and Constituency Data, 1993-1994
- Revised Candidate-Level State Legislative Returns in the United States with Adjusted Candidate Names, 1968-1989
- State Legislative Election Returns in the United States, 1968-1989
- State Legislative Election Returns (1967-2010)
- State Legislative Election Returns, 1967-2003