This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
ANES 1990 Time Series Study (ICPSR 9548)
Principal Investigator(s): Miller, Warren E., University of Michigan. Institute for Social Research. Center for Political Studies; Kinder, Donald R., University of Michigan. Institute for Social Research. Center for Political Studies; Rosenstone, Steven J., University of Michigan. Institute for Social Research. Center for Political Studies; University of Michigan. Institute for Social Research. American National Election Studies
This study is part of a time-series collection of national surveys fielded continuously since 1952. The election studies are designed to present data on Americans' social backgrounds, enduring political predispositions, social and political values, perceptions and evaluations of groups and candidates, opinions on questions of public policy, and participation in political life. For this collection, two forms of the survey instrument were used, with about 75 percent of the content being the same on both forms. Survey questions included the now standard National Election Studies battery of questions, along with items on presidential performance and the Persian Gulf conflict. Additionally, Form A contained questions relating to values and individualism, while Form B had content relating to foreign relations. The file also contains post-election vote validation and election administration survey data. Information is provided concerning sampling data, disposition of the case, control record variables, and information about the interviewer for the 1,980 interviews, plus nonsample and noninterview cases. Each of these records is associated with one or more call records that provide information on the date, day of the week, time of the call and its disposition, and the nature of the contact for those calls that resulted in contact with someone in the sample household.
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
Miller, Warren E., Donald R. Kinder, Steven J. Rosenstone, and University of Michigan. Institute for Social Research. American National Election Studies. ANES 1990 Time Series Study. ICPSR09548-v4. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2015-11-10. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09548.v4
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR09548.v4
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation (SES-8808361)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: Bush Administration (1989-1993), candidates, congressional elections, domestic policy, economic conditions, foreign policy, government performance, international relations, national elections, political affiliation, political attitudes, political campaigns, political efficacy, political issues, political participation, presidential elections, presidential performance, public approval, public opinion, trust in government, voter expectations, voter history, voting behavior
Geographic Coverage: United States
Some numeric variables use coding schemes that allow for code values with a varying degree of digits. In such instances, the number of columns corresponding to the variable in the data file [.dat file] and in the column specifications will be the width of the maximum value occurring in the actual data, rather than the maximum width allowable by the coding scheme.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Standardized missing values.
- Performed recodes and/or calculated derived variables.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1991-10-24
- 2015-11-10 The study metadata was updated.
- 2000-04-12 The data for this study are now available in SAS transport and SPSS export formats in addition to the ASCII data file. Variables in the dataset have been renumbered to the following format: 2-digit (or 2-character) year prefix + 4 digits + [optional] 1-character suffix. Dataset ID and version variables have also been added. The original release of 1990 data included 2,000 cases, and the ICPSR 1990 printed codebook is produced with marginals for 2,000 cases. However, as a result of a review of cases, it was decided that 20 interviews were either faked or conducted with ineligible respondents. These 20 cases were deleted from the raw data, so that there are now 1,980 cases for the 1990 NES. In addition, Part 2, Frequencies, and Part 22, Field Administration File (CPS Version), are no longer being distributed with this collection.
- List all ~383 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.