This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
American National Election Study, 1988: 1987 Pilot Study (ICPSR 8713)
This study is part of a time-series collection of national surveys fielded continuously since 1952. The election studies are designed to present data on Americans' social backgrounds, enduring political predispositions, social and political values, perceptions and evaluations of groups and candidates, opinions on questions of public policy, and participation in political life. This pilot was designed to test instrumentation for the 1988 American National Election Study. The study carries new measures of foreign policy attitudes, system support, and morality. A significant portion of the study is devoted to experiments in question wording and question order effects.
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
Miller, Warren E, and National Election Studies/Center for Political Studies. American National Election Study, 1988: 1987 Pilot Study. ICPSR08713-v1. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 1999. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08713.v1
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08713.v1
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation (SOC77-08885, and SES-8341310)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: candidates, congressional elections, domestic policy, economic conditions, foreign policy, government performance, morality, national elections, political affiliation, political attitudes, political campaigns, political efficacy, political issues, political participation, presidential elections, public approval, public opinion, public policy, Reagan Administration (1981-1989), social networks, social values, trust in government, voter expectations, voter history, voting behavior
Geographic Coverage: United States
Original ICPSR Release: 1987-10-12
- 1999-11-10 The data are available in SAS transport and SPSS export formats, in addition to the ASCII version of the data. Variables in the dataset have been renumbered to the following format: 2-digit (or 2-character) prefix + 4 digits + [optional] 1-character suffix. Dataset ID and version variables also have been added. In addition, SAS and SPSS data definition statements have been prepared, the codebook is now available in an ASCII text version, and data collection instruments have been added to the collection as PDF files. Also, the OSIRIS dictionary file is no longer being released.
- List all ~32 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.