This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
Principal Investigator(s): American National Election Studies
This collection pools common variables from each of the biennial National Election Studies conducted since 1948. The election studies are designed to present data on Americans' social backgrounds, enduring political predispositions, social and political values, perceptions and evaluations of groups and candidates, opinions on questions of public policy, and participation in political life. The data provided in this cumulative file include a series of demographic variables and measures of social structure, partisanship, candidate evaluation, retrospective and incumbent presidential evaluation, public opinion, ideological support for the political system, mass media usage, and equalitarianism and post-materialism. Additional items provide measures of political activity, participation, and involvement, and voting behavior and registration (including results of vote validation efforts). In 2001, corrections were made to variables VCF0902, VCF0904, and VCF0905.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download the data.
WARNING: This study is over 150MB in size and may take several minutes to download on a typical internet connection.
American National Election Studies. American National Election Studies (ANES) Cumulative Data File, 1948-2008. ICPSR08475-v14. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2011-12-05. doi:10.3886/ICPSR08475.v14
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR08475.v14
This study was funded by:
- National Science Foundation (SBR-9707741, SBR-9317631, SES-9209410, SES-9009379, SES-8808361, SES-8341310, SES-8207580, and SOC77-08885)
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: Bush Administration (1989-1993), Bush Administration (George W., 2001-2009), candidates, Clinton Administration (1993-2001), congressional elections, domestic policy, economic conditions, Eisenhower Administration (1953-1961), Ford Administration (1974-1977), foreign policy, government performance, information sources, Johnson Administration (1963-1969), Kennedy Administration (1961-1963), media use, national elections, Nixon Administration (1969-1974), political affiliation, political attitudes, political campaigns, political efficacy, political history, political issues, political participation, presidential administrations, presidential elections, public approval, public opinion, public policy, Reagan Administration (1981-1989), social networks, social values, special interest groups, Truman Administration (1945-1953), trust in government, voter expectations, voter history, voting behavior
Geographic Coverage: United States
Date of Collection:
Universe: Cases from the AMERICAN NATIONAL ELECTION STUDIES (ANES) SERIES.
Data Types: survey data
Data Collection Notes:
This file contains only a subset of the variables from the entire American National Election Studies (ANES) Series. Variables selected for inclusion were those most central to the research program of the election studies and which appeared in at least three of the surveys. Variables have been recoded to be consistent across the time span.
Please refer to the user guide for information pertaining to the labeling scheme for variable VCF0129.
Variable VCF0109 contains truncated value labels. Please refer to the Codebook for full labels.
Please refer to the American National Election Studies Web site for more information concerning ANES studies.
Variables VCF0140, VCF0397D, VCF0109, VCF0132, VCF0142, VCF0144, VCF0145, VCF0375D, VCF0376D, VCF0377D, VCF0381D, VCF0382B, VCF0382D, VCF0383D, VCF0384D, VCF0387D, VCF0388D, VCF0389D, VCF0390D, VCF0393D, VCF0394D, VCF0395D, VCF0396D, VCF0477D, VCF0478D, VCF0479D, VCF0483D, VCF0484D, VCF0489D, VCF0490D, VCF0495D, VCF0496D, VCF0521, VCF0750, VCF0850, VCF9023, VCF0383B, and VCF9054 contain wild codes.
Sample: See sampling information from the individual studies in the AMERICAN NATIONAL ELECTION STUDIES (ANES) SERIES.
Data files from the American National Election Studies (ANES) Series.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Performed consistency checks.
- Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes.
Original ICPSR Release: 1986-04-28
- 2011-12-05 Data for 2008 have been added, and the data are available in ASCII with SAS, SPSS, and Stata data definition statements, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata data file formats. The codebook is now available as a PDF file.
- 2007-09-25 Data for 2004 have been added. The number of variables has increased from 750 to 950. The codebook is now available as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file.
- 2004-12-08 Data for 2002 have been added, and the data are available in ASCII with SAS, SPSS, and Stata data definition statements, SAS transport, SPSS portable, and Stata data file formats. The codebook is now available as a PDF file.
- 2002-05-31 Data for 2000 have been added, and the data are available in ASCII, SAS transport, and SPSS portable file formats. The number of variables has increased from 635 to 752. The codebook is now available as a PDF file.
- List all ~749 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.