This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
County and City Data Book [United States] Consolidated File: City Data, 1944-1977 (ICPSR 7735)
This study is a compendium of data for all cities in the United States with populations greater than 25,000 in the period 1944-1977. The data provide diverse information ranging from city government activities to population estimates and characteristics to housing unit descriptors. Included is information on city government revenues, property taxes, capital outlay, and debts, and expenditures on education, highways, public welfare, health and hospitals, and police, as well as information on births, deaths, schooling, labor force, employment, family income, family characteristics, electoral votes, number of registered voters, and housing characteristics. Additional variables provide information on manufacturing, retail and wholesale trade, banking, mineral industries, farm population, agriculture, crime, and weather. See also the related data collection, COUNTY AND CITY DATA BOOK [UNITED STATES] CONSOLIDATED FILE: COUNTY DATA, 1947-1977 (ICPSR 7736).
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. COUNTY AND CITY DATA BOOK [UNITED STATES] CONSOLIDATED FILE: CITY DATA, 1944-1977. ICPSR version. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of the Census [producer], 1978. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-04-14. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07735.v1
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR07735.v1
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: agriculture, banking, census data, cities, crime, demographic characteristics, economic conditions, education expenditures, employment, government expenditures, government revenues, household composition, human services, income, industrial production, labor force, manufacturing industry, municipal services, population characteristics, states (USA), taxes, voting behavior, weather
Geographic Coverage: United States
(1) The codebook is provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site. (2) In this hierarchical file, the data are ordered by city within state. All of the data for one area are presented in a group of five records for the total sample of 1,014 record groups.
United States Department of Commerce. Bureau of the Census. COUNTY AND CITY DATA BOOKS. Washington, DC: United States Government Printing Office, 1944-1977.
Original ICPSR Release: 1984-06-20
- 2008-04-14 SAS, SPSS, and Stata setup files have been added to this data collection.
- List all ~16 citations associated with this study
- View citations for the entire series
Most Recent Publications
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.