This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
CBS News Class of 2000 Poll, May 2000 (ICPSR 2984)
This special topic poll, fielded in May 2000, queried members of the high school graduating class of 2000 on various topics. Respondents were asked a series of questions about their post-high school plans, including college, job opportunities, and their anticipated quality of life compared to that of their parents. Information was also gathered on respondents' attitudes toward teen sexuality, drug use, domestic violence/abuse, AIDS, pregnancy, abortion, self-esteem, and mental health. Those queried were also asked their about political matters, including diversity and racial discrimination, levels of political efficacy, and knowledge and involvement in politics. Additional topics addressed teen violent crime, family issues, and the role of technology and consumerism in adolescent independence. Background information on respondents includes age, sex, race, education, religion, voter registration and participation history, political party, political orientation, Hispanic descent, marital status, gun ownership, computer access, stock market investments, age of children in household, and family income.
The public-use data files in this collection are available for access by the general public. Access does not require affiliation with an ICPSR member institution.
CBS News. CBS News Class of 2000 Poll, May 2000 . ICPSR02984-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2009-07-28. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02984.v3
Persistent URL: https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02984.v3
Scope of Study
(1) This collection has not been processed by ICPSR staff. ICPSR is distributing the data and documentation for this collection in essentially the same form in which they were received. When appropriate, hardcopy documentation has been converted to machine-readable form and variables have been recoded to ensure respondents' anonymity. (2) The codebook is provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
The ASCII data file may have been replaced if the previous version was formatted with multiple records per case. A frequency file, which contains the authoritative column locations, has been added to the collection.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
Original ICPSR Release: 2001-01-25
- 2009-07-28 Minor edits were made to the frequency file cover.
- 2009-07-22 As part of an automated retrofit of some studies in the holdings, ICPSR created the full data product suite for this collection. Note that the ASCII data file may have been replaced if the previous version was formatted with multiple records per case. A frequency file, which contains the authoritative column locations, has also been added.
Browse Matching Variables
Of the kids who do carry a weapon, how many would you say carry guns -- most, about half, some or just a few? [loc 20/56][##md1=0][##md2=0][##label= Students With Guns]
In general, do you feel the laws covering the sale of hand guns should be made more strict, less strict, or kept as they are now? [loc 19/80][##md1=0][##md2=0][##label= Hand Gun Laws]
Of the students in your school, how many students would you say frequently carry a knife, gun or other weapon -- most, about half, some, or just a few? [loc 20/55][##md1=0][##md2=0][##label= Students With Weapons]
What would you say is the biggest problem where you go to school? [loc 19/78][##md1=0][##md2=0][##label= Biggest School Problem]
What do you think is the biggest problem facing people your age today? [allow 2][loc 19/34][##md1=0][##md2=0][##label=Problem for Class of 2000]
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.