This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
CBS News/New York Times Monthly Poll #1, July 1996 (ICPSR 2302)
Principal Investigator(s): CBS News; The New York Times
This poll is part of a continuing series of monthly surveys that solicit public opinion on the presidency and on a range of other political and social issues. Respondents were asked to give their opinions of President Bill Clinton, Bob Dole, Ross Perot, Richard Lamm, Hillary Clinton, and Elizabeth Dole. Those queried were also asked for their opinions regarding the 1996 presidential elections, the state of the national economy, Whitewater, tobacco use, and the White House requests for FBI files on Republican officials. In addition, respondents were asked to compare Bill Clinton's and Bob Dole's campaign platforms, political orientations, honesty and integrity, concern for the needs of the people, and potential handling of international crises. Other topics covered abortion, aging, New York City's image, late-night comedians, and the concerns of high school students. Background information on respondents includes ages of children in the household, political party affiliation, political orientation, voter registration and participation history, religion, marital status, education, age, labor union membership, cigarette use, 1992 and 1994 election choices, race, and family income.
These data are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Because you are not logged in, we cannot verify that you will be able to download these data.
CBS News, and The New York Times. CBS News/New York Times Monthly Poll #1, July 1996 . ICPSR02302-v3. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2010-04-30. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02302.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02302.v3
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: abortion, aging, campaign issues, Clinton, Bill, Clinton, Hillary, Dole, Bob, Dole, Elizabeth, FBI, high school students, international conflict, national economy, New York City, Perot, Ross, political affiliation, presidency, presidential elections, presidential performance, public opinion, Republican Party (USA), tobacco use, Whitewater inquiry
Geographic Coverage: United States
Data Collection Notes:
(1) This collection has not been processed by ICPSR staff. ICPSR is distributing the data and documentation for this collection in essentially the same form in which they were received. When appropriate, hardcopy documentation has been converted to machine-readable form and variables have been recoded to ensure respondents' anonymity. (2) The codebook is provided as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided through the ICPSR Website on the Internet.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created variable labels and/or value labels.
Original ICPSR Release: 1998-03-20
- 2010-04-30 SAS, SPSS, and Stata setups have been added to this data collection.
- 2000-06-21 The variable "first name" was removed to further ensure the privacy of respondents.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.