This study is provided by ICPSR. ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access, curation, and methods of analysis for a diverse and expanding social science research community.
ABC News Between Debates Horserace Poll, October 1996 (ICPSR 2165)
This special topic poll, conducted October 7-8, 1996, is part of a continuing series of monthly surveys that solicit public opinion on the presidency and on a range of political and social issues. The focus of this data collection was on the first presidential debate held October 6, 1996. Registered voters were asked their opinions of President Bill Clinton and his handling of the presidency, the economy, foreign affairs, and the situation between Israel and the Palestinians. Respondents familiar with the debate were asked who they believed won, President Bill Clinton or Republican candidate Bob Dole. Several questions asked about campaign advertisements and whether they affected respondents' intentions to vote, and for whom respondents planned to vote in the upcoming presidential and congressional elections. Additional topics addressed the possible 2000 presidential election match-up of Vice President Al Gore and vice-presidential candidate Jack Kemp, which qualities were most important in a president, and whether respondents expected life to be better or worse for the next generation of Americans. Demographic information collected on all respondents include sex, race, age, education level, political party affiliation, political philosophy, and voter registration status.
Data in this collection are available only to users at ICPSR member institutions. Please log in so we can determine if you are with a member institution and have access to these data files.
ABC News. ABC NEWS BETWEEN DEBATES HORSERACE POLL, OCTOBER 1996. ICPSR02165-v3. Radnor, PA: Chilton Research Services [producer], 1996. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [distributor], 2008-08-05. http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02165.v3
Persistent URL: http://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR02165.v3
Scope of Study
Subject Terms: attitudes, candidates, Clinton, Bill, congressional elections (US House), Dole, Bob, economic conditions, foreign affairs, Gore, Al, Israeli Palestinian conflict, Kemp, Jack, political advertising, presidency, presidential debates, presidential elections, presidential performance, public opinion
Geographic Coverage: United States
(1) The data available for download are not weighted and users will need to weight the data prior to analysis. (2) Original reports using these data may be found via the ABC News Polling Unit Web site. (3) The meaning of the variable SELECTB is unknown and may be associated with the sampling method of selecting a respondent based on the adult living in the household who last had a birthday. (4) According to the data collection instrument, code 3 in the variable EDUC includes respondents who answered that they had attended a technical school. (5) A value label for an unknown code was added in the AGE variable. (6) To protect respondent confidentiality, respondent names were removed from the public use data file. (7) The CASEID variable was created for use with online analysis. (8) The original data file contained four records per case and was reformatted into a data file with one record per case.
Sample: Households were selected by random-digit dialing. Within households, the respondent selected was the adult living in the household who last had a birthday and who was home at the time of the interview.
Weight: The data contain a weight variable (WEIGHT) that should be used in analyzing the data. This poll consists of "standard" national representative samples of the adult population with sample balancing of sex, race, age, and education.
Extent of Processing: ICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection:
- Created online analysis version with question text.
Original ICPSR Release: 1998-05-20
- 2008-08-05 The location of the weight variable was corrected, and SAS, SPSS, and Stata setup files, and SAS and Stata supplemental files have been revised accordingly.
- 2007-05-09 SAS, SPSS, and Stata setup files, and SAS and Stata supplemental files have been added to this data collection. Respondent names were removed from the data file and the CASEID variable was created for use with online analysis. Question text has been added to the codebook, and the data collection instrument has been taken out of the codebook and made into its own file.
- Citations exports are provided above.
Export Study-level metadata (does not include variable-level metadata)
If you're looking for collection-level metadata rather than an individual metadata record, please visit our Metadata Records page.